Oh Gosh my new Macbook ate my mail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by culo77, Mar 16, 2010.

1. culo77 macrumors newbie

Proud owner/switchPC'er of a shinny new MacBook Pro, i am still on the learning curve and hit a few hiccups hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. in order of importance.

1. I set up my Gmail, Hotmail and SBC email on the Mac mail program. Well i didnt know about the "remove from server after one week" check box so in the end MacMail ate my hotmail messages and wont put them back. Is it because its set up as POP? is there a way to put them back without having to forward it to myself? (i need to reference those emails at work the the browser

2. Read many threads on why my Macbook pro disconnects from my WiFi. So many theories and different solutions what is the RIGHT one? i right now turn off wifi and turn it on again to solve the issue, it sucks when i am a good part of a show (streaming video) and it cuts out.

3. iPhoto, ok i am confused i read here about not touching your photo's in finder because it would jack up iPhoto! iPhoto imported my pictures from my PC but added all these extra folders and stuff, and i had them all organized in folders already.
    I want to just delete all my Photos, and have iPhoto only for new pics. is this possible? can i still just put my old photos on my mac and view them in preview/finder?

I have many other questions that i would like to ask but will try to search the forum first before i bug you guys or try and figure it out myself.

for other switcher out there here are some tips. In my Two weeks with my mac i have learned;
    1.that When importing your iTunes library dont "have itunes organize" it will create duplicates. I exported all my playlists and then copied the itunes folder on PC and over wrote the itunes in Mac it worked better and easier.

2.That when setting up a gmail account that you have friends send you inappropriate emails with attachments on make sure you unclick the box "view offline" cause if you dont then those pics and videos will be searchable in Finder under Pictures and Videos so your wife will easily see them then yell at you cause your idiot friend sent them to you 3 years ago before you even got married (that was a fun night)

3. I know PC people its hard to understand but yes we can leave every single program open and the Mac will still work. even today i cant stop closing programs out of habit. but now i just leave everything open and 4 finger swipe to get to what i want to. And yes PC people we truly dont have to restart or shutdown the Mac will sleep and wake up without problems i dont get it either but it does :)

2. culo77 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry the customer support reps haven't waken up yet. Give it a few hours. Oh and enjoy your Macbook Pro.

4. Appleart macrumors newbie

It doesn't have anything to do with the POP protocol. Its because of that checkbox. There is no way to get them back online except to forward them all. For the future, just uncheck that box and they will stay online.

It comes from many different issues, so you would have to give more specifics about your connection information before anyone could give you an answer to that.

iPhoto organizes you pictures by creating thumbnails of the pictures you add to its library. If you change the originals in Finder, iPhoto won't know what happened to it.
    You can of course delete the thumbnails from iPhoto but still keep the originals on your computer. In iPhoto, simply delete the pictures. The original files will not be removed. Then in the future, just drag new pictures in and organize them!

5. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

You're right! Windows PCs don't have a sleep/hibernate feature nor do they automatically sleep when you close the laptop lid!
    Gosh.

6. culo77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well live and learn i guess, will need to carve out an hour to forward all the emails :eek:
    I always thought POP was a one way street and imap was two way?

Its the basic wireless modem that ATT DSL gives you (the 2wire) no special set up just basic. My wifes or my old PC didnt randomly disconnect, so i am assuming my Macbook doesnt want to play nice.

So i guess i will just start fresh, delete all in iPhoto first then delete the whole folder in finder. hook up my external hd and drop the photos folder back on and let iphoto organize just the new ones.

I was going for my PC could only go to close the lid hibernate twice before it needed a restart to function properly again. Oh Mac why did i wait so long ;)

BTW, Thank you all for the help looking forward to Mac networking with ya guys/gals/robots in the future.