Oh My God, 2015 Can't Come Soon Enough!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Codeseven, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

My 2008 MacBook Pro has been a great laptop, best I've ever owned (and first Mac :) ). But, for the last couple of years it's begun to show it's age becoming worse as the months go by. I've upgraded the 4Gb memory to 8 gigs and have always kept it updated software wise ( Yosemite 10.10.1) and even cleared out as much off the HD as possible (208 of 300Gb available) but the pinwheel of death shows up on a frustratingly regular basis and I can't help but think it's ol' 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/9600 GT have run their useful life (and I'm sure pales in comparison to 'modern' CPU/GPU's). My battery swells to the point of having limited use of the touch pad and the DVD drive works intermittently.

But, it still keeps trudging on and certainly has sealed my devotion to Mac's. All I need is for it to make into 2015 when the new laptops come out. In the meantime that pinwheel, seemingly anchor like weight and slow performance is driving me crazy!

Ok, sorry, just had to vent. move along folks, nothing to see here.

2. jsagurton macrumors member

I can't speak to whether or not this is Apple's official policy, but long after my 2006 17" MBP was out of warranty the Apple store replaced the swollen battery at no charge.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

4. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Don't tell me you're still using that ol' platter drive that passed for storage in 2008!

If I were you I would hold out for broadwell i7's hopefully next year and put an Ssd in that thing. You'll see an improvement 10 fold.

5. liya1201 macrumors member

+1 for an SSD.

6. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

I have thought about an SSD and I agree, it would make a big difference. I just hate to put any money into an old machine that i want to get rid of just because I'm getting frustrated with it's last few months (I hope) of ownership.

Same with the battery. It is indeed a bit scary to have it seemingly ready to explode so close to certain parts. Last I checked it would cost about $100 bucks to replace it. It wouldn't hurt to enquire with Apple as jsagurton has suggested, I'd do it for free no problem.

Come on Broadwell!

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Intel Core 2 Duo is still good today. Your machine is probably better than mine (2009). You probably have a failing hard drive causing the pinwheels.

8. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if the ol' HD is starting to fail. I've been diligently backing it up in anticipation of it doing so. It'll be the last platter drive I own. I'm jealous of those that are using the SSD's. My wife's 2013 MB Air is light, fast and silent.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're battery is swelling, that is a dangerous situation, one that can harm you. That is its quite possible that the battery will explode. I'd replace the battery ASAP.

10. austinpike macrumors 6502

You can get a generic replacement battery on ebay for $30. If you pay attention at SlickDeals or wherever you can get a 240GB SSD for ~$70. And do a clean install, don't just migrate over. If you have been updating for years the OS can have all kinds of crud built up. It will feel better than new; hardware doesn't "slow down" over time. If nothing else you will easily get that $100+ back by having a functional laptop to sell. (and have a -much- better experience using it in the meantime.)

Pretty sure it isn't going to explode, but yes you should get it out ASAP before it damages something irreversibly.

11. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Austin, those prices are allot lower than I thought they would be. Since I'm realistically going to be stuck with this laptop till sometime later next year, for that minimal cost I might as well make my user experience enjoyable again.

12. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Have you actually taken it to Apple and see if they'll replace the battery?

I would also suggest an SSD, they have gotten pretty cheap now that it will definitely be worth it, even if you plan on getting a new laptop next year.