Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I just made a very rash decision.
eBay, searching for iPad sales, someone in Glasgow has iPad for say 16GB Wi-Fi, buy it now of £279.00. A message on there of 'relisted due to timewaster'. It was a one day listing - 11hours remaining. No bids. Now the worrying bit... zero feedback. Member since May 2008.

There was a photo as if taken by the seller of the unit. Reason for selling is his company have supplied him with a tablet from work.

Paid using Paypal and using a credit card so hopefully covered if it goes belly up. I've had a smoke so this is a bit of a stoner decision that might come back to bite me on the arse.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Lol wut?

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Can't lose with "might".
I'm popping some corn cause I got the munchies.
Gotta see how this one turns out.
Good luck from across the pond.

iWannaBeAdored

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
Scotland
They all look like they have been taken by the seller. Just think, what tablet would they have replaced the iPad with?

Hope you get your money back.

EDIT: Hope the guy is genuine and you get your iPad :) Can you post a link?

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Battlestar - might have got myself a bargain? Or then again might have just flushed 280 quid down the toilet.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
eBay, searching for iPad sales, someone in Glasgow has iPad for say 16GB Wi-Fi, buy it now of £279.00. A message on there of 'relisted due to timewaster'. It was a one day listing - 11hours remaining. No bids. Now the worrying bit... zero feedback. Member since May 2008.

There was a photo as if taken by the seller of the unit. Reason for selling is his company have supplied him with a tablet from work.

Paid using Paypal and using a credit card so hopefully covered if it goes belly up. I've had a smoke so this is a bit of a stoner decision that might come back to bite me on the arse.

OcUK high five!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18146301

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition

You'll be fine don't worry about it. Even if this is a scam, the buyers have all the power nowadays on Ebay. Just tell Paypal you didn't receive the item, they'll give you your money back, literally just yank it away from the seller's account and back into yours. In order to get the money back again, the seller must prove that you actually did receive the item and signed for it at your residence... which never happens. You buyers basically just get to bend the sellers over and do whatever the heck you want these days, really. If the seller doesn't send registered mail and require your signature upon delivery everything you buy on eBay becomes free! :rolleyes:

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
You'll be fine don't worry about it. Even if this is a scam, the buyers have all the power nowadays on Ebay. Just tell Paypal you didn't receive the item, they'll give you your money back, literally just yank it away from the seller's account and back into yours. In order to get the money back again, the seller must prove that you actually did receive the item and signed for it at your residence... which never happens. You buyers basically just get to bend the sellers over and do whatever the heck you want these days, really. If the seller doesn't send registered mail and require your signature upon delivery everything you buy on eBay becomes free! :rolleyes:

Hmm

Well - I have tried contacting the seller a couple of times throughout the day. No replies. Tried emailing another email address listed on their pages.

They also listed a used iPhone 3G and a copy of CS4 suite for Mac. Seems legitimate at face value.

I have been checking eBay a lot today and have noticed that the 'dispatched' icon is highlighted, suggesting the seller has marked the item as if they have already sent it. No emails at all regarding this though.

Until I have the thing in my hand, I remain skeptical :)

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
FYI - the advertisement for the iPhone he has listed says that local bidders can come and collect to save on postage costs if they wish. Perhaps adding an element of validity to my winning auction??

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
FYI - the advertisement for the iPhone he has listed says that local bidders can come and collect to save on postage costs if they wish. Perhaps adding an element of validity to my winning auction??

Or they're not content with just the money you spent on the "iPad", they'd rather have your wallet and watch, too?

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Yikes. Good luck with that. My mate just picked up a 16GB Wifi model and they are selling for £460 on eBay at the moment. It just seems so unlikely that it'd be nearly £200 cheaper than the market value. Good luck though.

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
Stop wasting time with Ebay... you need to go right to Paypal and dispute the charge. Open a new "item not received" case and explain the situation. As soon as you do this Paypal will freeze the money in the seller's account. After a week goes by you can request that the case be reviewed by a Paypal representative, who will side with you immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.