OH NO... Dropped my Mac Book Pro 15 &

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neversink, Nov 16, 2010.

1. neversink macrumors regular

neversink

I tripped over my dog this morning and my first generations intel mac book pro flew out of my hands and landed up side down, closed, on the screen side. Can't see very much of the screen now. OUCH!!!

I have everything backed up, but and also have a last gen 24 inch i mac and so I didn't lose much info, if any, at all....

1. I am a photographer and I travel a lot. Should I get the MBP for more power or just go with light weight. I don't have much time as I have to head out of town for a month....

2. Is it worth even trying to fix my old MBP or should I just put it to rest??

Thanks!

2. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I'd try and see how much it costs to get it fixed if it still works fine for your needs. Make sure you'll have enough time to get it fixed as well though. Also if you don't need the newest machine try get an apple referb as they're just as good just lower spec and cheaper

3. neversink thread starter macrumors regular

neversink

Not too familiar with the new machines, whether it be MBP or MBA, etc... I just like a computer to work and I loved my old MBP. It was incredible even though it only had 2GB of memory, and was slower than my kids new plastic MBs.

It was my workhorse.

Will the MBA be as much as a workhorse or will the MBP fit my needs better. I like the lightweight aspects of the MBA, but it doesn't have fire wire... Oh well... You can't have everything... Also the battery lasts longer on the MBP, at least that's what they say...

I will miss the spare removable battery on the old MBP but I guess I can always BUY an additional third party battery that plugs into one of the ports????

Unfortunately, time is of the essence, so a refurbished one doesn't make much sense...

4. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

The new MacBook pros are workhorses too. My uncle has one of the last revision ones and he like uses it constantly for web design, general surfing and he does have a bridge camera so a bit of iPhoto with photoshop. Hope you get what you need though

5. speedfreak007 macrumors member

buy a mbp 13": perfect combination between small size and workhorse

6. neversink thread starter macrumors regular

neversink

Well, I am heading over to a local Apple store to check them all out and to see if they think my old MBP is worth fixing....

I am thinking of the MBA, and using external drives for extra storage capacity...

But I will know more after I visit the store...

The less weight I have to lug around the better I will feel, although, I would prefer to have a fire wire drive in the MBA.. but of course then it wouldn't be an MBA, would it?

7. freddyr439 macrumors newbie

8. neversink thread starter macrumors regular

neversink

My dog is fine... Thanks for asking.. And so is my new computer... I purchased a MBP 15 inch i7.... It's great. I would have gotten the MBA, but I really need more capacity and computing power given the photo software.

Having a lot of fun playing with it.

9. macman716 macrumors newbie

I just bought one on friday and im in love with mine!