Oh no...forgot my admin passwrod

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by craigyknows, Aug 24, 2007.

1. craigyknows macrumors newbie

:eek::eek:

I don't remember the password I entered for my admin account. How royally screwed am I?

They only reason I realised was when I tried to update my software.

Oh dear.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Boot up from the install disk and select Change Password from the menu.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Here are the Step.

4. MacSlurp macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on my mac as well. I had changed the password because there was an unauthorized person using it. Problem i had is instead of retyping the whole new password, I just added to th end of the one showed. Yes it was just a bunch of dots but anyways. I tried using the master password but it seems it was changed as well so now I do not have either. Now I DO NOT have file fault turned on and the version of osx is 10.3.9. Will these same steps apply? And what if the cds i had with it got trashed by a couple of little people whom discovered they made good frisbies... I cannot loose the info. I do have a couple of cds from a g4 running 10.4... but they do not want to seem to work. I am so lost and will be in the dog house if I cannot get this ibook to work again.

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

do you have another mac handy? If so, just boot into target disk mode to retrieve your data at least.

Without the 10.3 or 10.4 install CD, it is hard to change the password.

Search the forums for booting into single user mode. That is another option perhaps.

6. MacSlurp macrumors newbie

i have 2 ibooks and a pc desltop. I know there is a way to hook up the drive into the other ibook but not sure how. Boot into target disk mode? Not sure of the meaning here. If I found another version of osx the same version thats in there would it work? I was also looking into changing the version to tiger. Would buying osx 10.4 and installing it give me an option of just overlaying and not deleting anything? I need to keep the files. Sorry to be a pain and thatnks for the help

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

so, for the computer you forgot the password on, hook ina firewire cable and start up holding down "t". The firewire symbol will appear. hook the cable into the second Mac, and the HD icon will appear on the desktop of the second computer.

try to get you data off that way first to be safe. Yes, you can do an "archive and install" with the retail disk, and in threory, all your original system files will be maintained.

8. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

I know how (i think, or at least it worked on my computer) to change the admin password without knowing it, when i did it to my computer i was running tiger, it may work in panther though.

If you anybody has this problem send me a pivate message.

-Clay