Oh no....I screwed up my partition table

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ScuseMe, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ScuseMe macrumors newbie

After getting Windows to reorganize my 2TB HFS+ partitions, I decided to create a small 300 GB partition on one of the volumes and format as NTFS for use in Boot Camp. I did this with iPartition (which was very easy), and when I booted into Win7 - all my HFS+ partitions, and the new NTFS partition were visible to Win7. I was a happy camper.

After playing around in in windows for a while, I booted back into OS X, and much to my horror, all the HFS+ partitions on that drive, *except* for the new NTFS one, were not there! iPartition just shows a 300 GB contiguous space called Windows Work. In fact, my 2TB drive is now a 300 GB NTFS drive with a little free space. The rest of the 2TB's are gone....in OS X that is!

I really need to get this data back so I can use it in OS X, so could anybody please tell me what I did wrong and how to get this volume's partitioning back to the way it was.

Thanks you every so much!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you post what showpart sees on this drive? Do you still have the utility?

B

3. ScuseMe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks balamw, but I got it fixed. The strange this is that it looked liked the 2 TB drive was only 300 GB (the size of the Win partition I made). I think I caused this all by using Disk Management in Win7 to rename that 300 GB NTFS partition I created for it (duh!). I think DM messed up the GUID partitioning tables.

Luckily I could use testdisk to rebuild all the partitions (except the 300 GB NTFS one). I think I'll take the advice on the net to dedicate an external drive to Win7 and not share drives. It's too risky.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think I mentioned this in the other thread, but the other alternative form many forms of data is to stick it on a NAS and access it that way.

No problems sharing between OSes and even different machines because the real file system is abstracted away by the NAS.

I wouldn't do that if I was editing lots of video, but for most other applications NAS over Gigabit can be pretty darn close to USB 2.0 speeds.

B