Oh no! My 4 bay external enclosure got drenched!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrono1081, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

So I go into my living area after work yesterday, and I get read to plug my icy dock 4 bay external enclosure into my mbp when I noticed something....

It looked like water around the base. I knew it was from the air conditioner (even though the drive is not directly under the AC) so I obviously did not turn it on, I pulled out all the drives which felt dry, and picked the enclosure up only for a ton of water to drain onto the floor. This thing was soaked. The water hit the fan on the back and bounced right into the enclosure.

My time machine backup is on here

My Pictures are on here

My sound bank is on here

And the last drive is a mirror of my pictures.

In the past I have gotten almost every item ever liquid damaged to work again. I'm hoping the same goes for this since the enclosure is $400 even though the drives are more important but I think those are OK.

I have the enclosure sitting in the car right now (in Iraq temperatures it should dry out fairly quickly ;) ) I'm hoping for the best. I will leave it there for awhile to ensure its thoroughly dried and then post back the results.

Let this be a lesson to everyone, don't leave stuff under an air conditioner!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hard drives are extremely sensitive, but as they are sealed I doubt that water will do much damage. If there is any damage, it will be to the enclosure.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Woohoo! It lived! (If anyone cares :D )

After drying out in the hot hot car for 2 days I plugged it in, it turned, on, I plugged my drives in, they worked like a charm.

More proof that if you DONT turn your stuff on when it gets soaked you can save it.