Oh no new hard drive upgrade, more noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shelovesMAC, Sep 23, 2010.

1. shelovesMAC macrumors member

So I read a lot of threads where a person notices louder noises after they upgrade their laptop.

While I'm typing this, either my fan or CD/DVD drive (noise is coming from top left near power button) or something keeps turning on and off like it's about to install something. The hard drive that came with my Mid-2010 would only make that noise if I watched a movie or video for too long.

Brightness is at 25%, bluetooth is off, keyboard lights are off, and nothing is in my CD/DVD drive

Anyone know what this is and how I can control it without ruining my laptop?

2. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

It's not my fan so it has to be my new 750GB Scorpio Blue BPVT hard drive.

What do I do? It stops spinning when I stop doing something then starts up and the noise is loud like I said above and this never happened before.

Also have ClicktoFlash and my Activity Monitor shows nothing running except it.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hearing the HD shutting down and starting up sounds like a power-saving feature to me. What are your setting under the Power Saving control panel?

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

Search the forums. I've seen numerous similar complaints about the scorpio blue drives.

5. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

I've searched but I couldn't find what I'm looking for on Mroogle.

UltraNeo*: All 3 boxes are checked under Battery and Power Adapter. It's definitely the HD because my laptop isn't hot so it's not the fan running.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Does it still happen IF you uncheck the option which says
    "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep then possible"?

From my understanding, your Scorpio drive has it's own power-saving hardware built in.. so having both on might not make much sense.

7. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

No difference at all. Is there a way to turn off the WD hardware?

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If it keeps powering up and spinning down just seconds afterwards at a regular interval it's a sort of incompatibility with the Os that can be fixed with a terminal command. I had that problem when I installed mine acouple of months ago. Search the forum, the answer is somewhere around here.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nope, not unless WD have recently released some firmware patch. Alternatively someone here might have a work around, but dunno is it permanent.

10. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

I found a 3 page thread about the command but I don't have any sluggish performance and beach ball issues.

I just want this spinning up and down to stop every 3-5 seconds like my laptop is installing something/using flash a lot (only noise I can compare it too) :(

11. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Disabling SMS did nothing.

Can someone who has had this problem please link to a thread because clearly I'm not searching the right way?

12. shelovesMAC thread starter macrumors member

Just did that Lingon Head park thing and it didn't work. I downloaded the Smart Utility demo and my load cycle count is 1378 so my hard drive is fine, just the noise.

Please, anyone?

13. nwbusa macrumors regular

Are you 100% sure it's the HDD? Like, have you pulled the back cover off while it's making the noise to verify?

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo