Oh no, Tiger just **** itself - /etc/master.passwd: no such file or directory

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Nope.

I do have a full drive backup from a few months back. Any smart unix peeps got any idea how I can copy the backup master.passwd over? Trying now but not having much luck :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Don't know any smart unix ways, but you could try the "reset password trick" with a Tiger install DVD.

Edit: Look here under resettint the original admin account password at the bottom.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
PANIC OFFICIALLY OVER! Thanks all for your concern :p

I fixed it!!!!! :D YAY!

Short story: I'm a dips***.
Lesson: Don't f*** about with the terminal and sudo command when you don't really know what you're doing :eek:

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
edesignuk said:

Lesson: Don't f*** about with the terminal and sudo command when you don't really know what you're doing :eek:
The only time I ever open terminal is to check my uptime and impress my friends by typing in "top" and then pretending that I know what it all means. :)

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Onizuka said:
:confused:

Is it wrong that I want to make out with your avatar?
No, that is a perfectly natural response.

edesignuk said:
Did that once before and thought that I broke Spotlight. Managed to fix it somehow. Can't remember though...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Freg3000 said:
The only time I ever open terminal is to check my uptime and impress my friends by typing in "top" and then pretending that I know what it all means. :)
just type:

Code:
touch me
to impress your friends:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
edesignuk said:

How did you fix it? I ask in case anyone else here ever runs into the problem... Rule #1 of tech support is "document your problems and solutions... you never know when you (or someone else) will need the info again".

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I had managed to rename my /Private folder (which is a hidden system folder) to /.Private. So I booted of my external firewire drive, made all files visable (which is when I noticed what I'd done) and renamed it back to /Private.

Problem solved *as he wipes the sweat from his brow*