Oh No! Wrong Power Adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, Dec 20, 2015.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Just realized that I brought the 45W MBA adapter instead of the 65W adapter for my 13" rMBP on a 10-day trip. I know it's bad for the battery to use a lower-wattage adapter. Just how much damage will I do in a week and a half? Are there certain charging patterns to adhere to or avoid that will mitigate it? Should I avoid using the computer at all once the initial charge runs down?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Says who? I'd say you or whoever told you this pulled it out of a place where the sun doesn't shine.

The power adapter is a source, the battery is the one that decides how much juice to draw at any one time. Using a lower or higher wattage power adapter will not harm it. You may notice slower charging, and even steady discharging when pushing the computer, because the power adapter will not be able to provide enough power for the computer. That's about it.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No it isn't. It'll just charge slower.

None, but it might be annoying if you're really pushing the computer and the battery level starts dropping even when you're plugged in.

Just use it and don't worry about it.

4. chipchen macrumors 6502

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope - where did you hear that?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You won't damage it, as mentioned by others, though it may not charge up very fast.

7. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm, maybe that's an issue just with older hardware? I remember warnings from the pre-retina MBP days that a too-low-wattage charger wasn't just slow, it could be harmful to the battery/charger. Thanks for setting me straight, folks!