Oh Noes! Broken screen!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TurboFan, May 8, 2009.

1. TurboFan macrumors newbie

Alright guys, Ive failed. I slipped up today at school approximatly 45 min ago and dropped my ipod. I was thinking, while reaching down to pick it up, that it was going to have scratched up rim thingy and maybe scratched glass, when I turned it over I was amazed to find a ton of broken glass. I had dropped it far worse before, and was thinking nothing of it.
    Now before you call me a dummy for dropping it, normally I have the reflexes to catch somthing that is falling (china, cups, remotes, forks, Not knives i let those drop heh) and almost never let somthing fall without at least 2 attempts at grabbing it. This time (what I think caused it to break) I grabbed the headphones as the ipod was pretty far away. Probably the break off of the headphones coming out sent more inertia to the ipod and changed the trajectory from scratches, to fail.
    Well the moral of the story is besides what actually happened. The moral is Don't Buy a warrenty from Best Buy! They simply will not cover anything that is worth while! Software problems you can easily take up with Macintosh, small dings and scratches are not covered, water damage not covered, drops not covered... anything that would actually constitute some kind of serious fix isnt covered.
    There goes 60 bucks DOWN THE DRAIN. I bought this 1st gen back in 2007, basically soon after it came out, and untill now its been taking any accidents I have (well mainly friends who drop it hah) and dumping crap all over them.
    So dont fear this will get a replacement screen, and all will be good, unless I decide to buy a 2nd Gen. Suprisingly it works completly and there are no jaged edges (side 1 from the biggest crack, and even that you really have to try to feel).
    :cool: Dont worry guys Im pretty chill about all of this :cool:

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Thats why I always say: "Buy from Sams Club."

3. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

And therein lies the difference between a warranty and an insurance policy.

Speaking of which, why don't you just say it fell off the kitchen worktop and claim on household insurance.

Maybe if you'd learned to catch those knives...

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Whats so special about Sam's Club?

5. Redline13 macrumors 6502

They along with other wholesale, members only stores (Costco,etc.) have very liberal return policies.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

thanks for the info, i'll have to join one now.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

I just had another iPod exchanged since it kept on dying on me for no reason - the screen would completely stop responding and it would not power on.

So I went to Sams, reseted my settings on my ipod and handed it to the guy - the reset on the ipod takes like 3 hours so they couldn't do anything but throw it in the back to send to apple. Anyways, the guy handed me a new one - this guy was smart - I didn't get free headphones (not like I care). I was in and out within 7 minutes.

Now why would anyone buy from apple? The only advantages you get are:

1. Engraving - if this really matters. I personally hate it - what if i wanted to sell my iPod.

2. Earlier shipping. Whenever a new iPod touch is released, you can pre order on Apple and receive it fairly quickly. With stores such as Sams, you have to wait a month....

Hope that helps.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Is the moral of the story not more like read the warranty before you buy it?

At least you're not letting it get you down OP

9. Apple all life macrumors 6502

I have the same reflexes only I accidently caught a knife :eek: through the hand, not fun.

10. TurboFan thread starter macrumors newbie

hah! you obviously havent been to the best buy in slo. lets just say their cashiers have several times told me and others i know false info about their replacement plans. they told me that my original xbx wouldnt be replaced for a bs reason so i bought a new one. they told me i could return it for upgrade on 360. well when the 360 came out i got one on release day... pretty epic yes but i asked the manager and he told me that what the cashier said was wrong. and because bb doesnt put cashier name on receipt i couldnt get the ass fired. but the return deal wasnt what sold me... i just needed an xbox to hold me over for 360. i was under the impression that the plan was like the ones on console: friend dropped gamecube for no real reason and it was smashed. brought it into bb and told them it broke. They REPLACED it. wtf right? that was a few years before i got this ipod... which im typing on right now. there are about. 2 more cracks 1 across the screen hairline ish from the corner where it was already cracked, the other an extra one off the opposite corner... still works trying to keep it away from moisture so as to keep the lcd good. i need 2 freekin order the new glass and post pics!!!!
    i typed this out pretty well for ipod touch id say! ;)

11. TurboFan thread starter macrumors newbie

most def been there! cut side of finger to a mm or two from bone. thing is if you think about it at all you have missed your opportunity. i startedthinking before hand (subconciosly) if i can/śhould catch whatever it is.my most epic one was friend slipped on stairs carrying glass 3/4 full or 1/4 empty (lol) and i caught it on second grab after the first didnt quite hold well enough.helps when you have long fingers (my middle finger is about a cm shorter than this ipod touch in landscape view). another semi readable post on my:p broken glass ipod touch.:D
    oh yeah and a big part of catching things is in the legs and quordinating position balance. i can grab falling stuff on the first grab if im setup so that ill be balanced with the object in hand. not sure anything ivesaid makes sense.... pm me if you want more info on crazy, saving skills

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have.

I grand opened that store even.

Sounds like my ops team isn't working there now - lying about what is covered isn't their way of doing things. But accidental breakage has NEVER been covered.....

13. TurboFan thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah ive had times where your guys try to sell me unessesary stuff claiming i cant play a game without it. basically your prices are terrible and consistantly try to scam people i know. customer service is garbage. to get somone who actually knows what they are talking about is a rarity... not to mention the fact every time i go in the person wandering around the area im in saus that the area isnt theres followed by a few minutes of waiting for somone who couldnt answer any of my questions. then i get sent over to geek squad who just googles my question- wtf? what a joke. and then thers your game reservation bs... i reserved forza 2 like a few days after the reserve card came out. came over there and what happens? you dont have it. ok thats reasonable. you guys told me that you would call me when it comes in stock and i spent a bunch of time setting up like an account and guess what? NEVER got called emailed or mailed anthing but spam. i ended up just going to circuit city that same day and not only did they have it in stock but they gave me a free game.
    all in all, if i wasnt so chill id probably attempt to sue your arse.

for anyone interested in ipod news more cracks! ahhh! still works... been thinking about maybe replacing the battery in this thing, it feels like bat life is shorter than originally. anybody know a way to check battery life (cycles left)?

14. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Don't you all love these kind of threads.

I was gonna make some cutting comment, but why bother when everyone else is thinking the same thing anyway...

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I was going to suggest a spelling and grammar book... or spending less time playing games and more on schooling ;)

But i won't. Because i'm so NOT a good speller myself (thank God for spell check!)

To the OP - i haven't lived in CA for 5 years - so it's not "my store" any longer. But i suggest if you want your complaints to go to people that care.... then use this page and let Corporate know.

Things can't get fixed if they don't know about it right?

I would suggest turning on a spell check though - it might help you get taken serious......