Oh Noes :( [MBA dented]

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by neonjohn, Jul 5, 2014.

1. neonjohn macrumors newbie

/cry

And the frickin case/sleeve/thing is in the mail!

I'll have to see about getting it fixed. Can't find anything wrong with it otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

3. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Dropped it on the sidewalk while it was in a sling case.

I'm hoping Apple can take it in and replace the shell. At my cost, obviously.

4. cyber16 macrumors 6502

File off the rough edges and place it into the cover.
    What you will pay Apple to fix it will be far more than the lost value when it is time to sell. imo
    Keep an eye out on ebay for parts is another option.

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I had a nightmare last week about this happening to mine. I woke up in a panic and quickly went to caress my MBA.

Get it fixed ASAP, at any cost. You won't be happy until you do. :apple:

6. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow. We'll see what they say. If it's really expensive to fix I might not do it, but if it's reasonable, I probably will (Although I'm not sure Apple is known for being reasonable in this sense). I mean, I did just spend $1600 for it so I want it to be perfect! ><

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

I see a reasonable fix for that being around $400-$600. If they do fix it they will replace the whole LCD assembly and that could drive the cost up even more.

That is easy to say when you are not the one paying for the repair. Especially when one does not know the finances of the other person.

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Do you have any kind of insurance that covers accidental damage?

9. scaredpoet, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think Apple's maximum flat repair charge for most laptops is in the $700 to $750 range, and I have a feeling that's what they'll charge you.

That said, that might actually be equal to or cheaper than the cost to repair it yourself. The display is a single part including external shell that runs for $599 ($499 if you're willing to accept blemishes, which I have a suspicion you won't), and the upper casing (the part where your wrists rest when you're typing, and the sides of the case around the keyboard) is another $299 new, $249 used. If there's damage to the lower/bottom case (the hatch at the bottom of the MBA), that's another $99, and is a used part.

Of course if you go this route it's on you to try to do all the labor, which might get you into some trouble if a screwdriver happens to slip. So, while USUALLY Apple repairs are more expensive, this time it might actually be competitively priced.

Also, do you have renter's insurance or homeowner's insurance? Check with them, they might be able to help you out with the cost of repairs.

[EDIT: Realized that the upper case is in fact, damaged on the OP's Mac, while the bottom case might not be.]

10. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think the display is damaged. There is a space between the display and the outer "shell" and only the outer shell appears to have damage. The bulk of the damage is on the keyboard half.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I might just end up living with it if it's going to be 500+.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If the Mac still works and you don't have insurance I say leave it. Use it as a conversation starter.

12. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

age/credit card?

How old is it? Depending on how paid for some of the major credit cards offer 90 day purchase protection.
    Good luck

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Happened to my old 2010 MBP, damage looked about the same. Just learned to live with it.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh man that bites - I'm sorry to hear it :(

15. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Ouch, that sucks. I feel your pain. Something similar happened to my old 2009 MBP. Thing tumbled off the counter and led to a dent in the corner of the display bezel and a dent in the bottom portion of the lower half of the computer. I didn't bother getting it fixed because neither affected its usability and I eventually got a new computer and moved on. That's probably what you should do assuming the repair costs are $500+ like I expect they will be.

16. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Call. I purchased it less than a month ago and indeed with a major credit card with purchase protection. Limit is $500, but that should help.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

17. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Woot

Repair estimate: $430
    Purchase Protection Limit: $500

It will be done

18. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Great to hear

CHEERS!
    Drinks all around.

19. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Glad to hear it, brother. Nice when things work out.

20. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Congrats! That's actually lower than I thought it would be for the top cover and top case. Had a similar incident with a white Macbook some years back and just replacing the top cover was insane.

21. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Made my day to see an actual adult attitude instead of another"I dropped my macbook how can I get Apple to fix it for free?"post.

Bravo!

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

23. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Did you ever get it somehow fixed up? How did it turnout?

24. neonjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I did. Repair was $449 and Purchase protection paid for it.

And after all of that, in spite of loving my MBA, I have thought of selling it. I just don't use it nearly as often as I thought. We'll see!

25. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah, almost every major credit card (and some debit cards) carrying the visa\mastercard cover you for 3 or 6 months. If nothing else, they'll cover a return policy extension. It's a pain to file a claim and go through the process, but that's a benefit of a CC, so might as well use it.