Oh, oh... what did my iPhone do to my iTunes library?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big Byte, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Big Byte macrumors regular

Hi folks, seems like I'm in a bit of a pickle here and I don't know what to do. Hopefully, somebody will be able to help.

Last year I imported all of my CDs into iTunes using Apple Lossless format. I have about 500 CDs and stored them all on my Time Capsule external hard drive.

In January of this year, I bought my first iPhone. A couple of months ago, I synced about 1000 songs from my iTunes onto the iPod in the iPhone so I can have some of my music on the go. From my 500 CDs, I synced several songs from about 200 of them.

Last night, however, I went into iTunes and played some music through my stereo system. But, some of the songs were not located and were tagged with the infamous "!". I then went into my Time Capsule where my music library is stored and noticed that, from every CD from which I synced some songs to my iPhone, only the songs that were synced were left in the library for that album - all other songs on that album were deleted! For example, if I synced Tracked 1, 2 and 3 from Album X, all other songs were gone.

Specs wise, my Time Capsule is 1T and my music library took up about 150G. The funny thing is that, although Time Capsule globally still shows that 830G are unused (which was the amount of available space I had before I bought my iPhone), my music library in Time Capsule where my music is stored has shrunk from 150G to about 100G.

Is my music lost? I can't find it, and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

If you synced your music through your computer, it sounds like it moved the songs you put on your iphone from your music collection to your itunes media folder on your computer. You need to change your itunes preferences on your computer after you copy your music back.

3. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply sawah, but I've already checked the media folder on my computer and there's nothing in there. Besides, my computer's hard drive is too small to hold all the music that was deleted.

4. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

5. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Correct, but only from the albums that I did sync songs from. So, if I did not sync any songs from a particular album, that album is still intact.

6. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

That so makes no sense :( I wish I had another idea for you, but I don't think I do. Can you search your time capsule?

I have my 80gigs of music backed up like 3 times, since once my husband accidentally installed windows on the wrong hard drive, over my music. Pretty sure he actually cried he felt so bad.

7. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it makes no sense at all. Anyway, I'm going to search my Time Capsule backup again. I tried to do it last night, but it took too long to open up the backup file so I decided to let it go for the night. If, however, I do find my music in the Time Capsule backup, how do I transfer it back to my music folder in Time Capsule? Thanks again for your help.

8. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I sure do hope you find it.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how to transfer it back as the only mac I've ever had was a pc turned into one. I've never used time capsule :( I'm sure someone else on the board can help you. It sounds to me from google like you can just drag and drop it, however I'm not sure if there is more to it than that.

Good luck.