Oh Oh, What Next (Mac Migration)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oo7ml, May 17, 2015.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

Hi,

I bought a new MacBook Air last week. i turned it on 2 days ago and followed the Mac Migration process (over wi-fi) between my old and new MacBook Air.

After 24 hours, the screen said 'About one minute remaining' however 12 hours later it was still saying the same thing.

I went out and bought a Thunderbolt cancelled the Mac Migration.

I've now just tried running it all again but it says there is not enough room on the new MBA.

I've also just tried logging in as normal and none of the files are there on the new MBA.

How do i wipe or clear my new MBA so that i can start the process again via the Thunderbolt cable?

Thanks in advance for any help you have.

2. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Don't you have an external harddrive?

If your looking for a sollution to migrate your useraccount over, just do the following. It works better than Restoring a timemachine or migration over air or cable.

-Create the exact same account on the new machine which you are using on your old machine. And login for first time on this account.
    -Create an admin account on both machines.
    -On the old machine: run the following commands using the admin account
    Code:
    shopt -s dotglob
    sudo rsync -ardv /Users/<useraccount> /Volumes/<externaldrive>

Once finished you will have an exact clone of your account on the external drive.

-On the new machine, by using the admin account
    Code:
    shopt -s dotglob
    sudo rsync -ardv /Volumes/<externaldrive>/<useraccount> /Users/

Once finished just log out, and log in on your useraccount, and you will see that all your documents, files, settings, desktops are now perfectly synced on your new machine.

Hopefully this will be usefull for you, as I posted this on multiple threads on the forums, and got replies that they are going to try it, but never received feedback. I work as IT operator on a Mac based company and it's helping me a lot better than using migration assistant or timemachine backups.

(This also works from older OSX version to newer)

Good luck, and feedback please :)

3. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

Does it copy bookmarks, mac settings, app settings, etc... or just data?

4. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

All settings wich are related to your account ;-)
    So yes, bookmarks if safari firefix, settibgs, screensaver desktop launchdeamons items etc etc

Only no applications itself