Oh S***! No Entry sign. Erased everything!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lordgumboot, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Lordgumboot, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

Lordgumboot macrumors newbie

Lordgumboot

Hi there,
    On trying to return my macBook Air to factory settings, I went through disc utility and successfully erased the disc, but in my haste I think I quit disc utility without reinstating/reinstalling the OS.
    When I start up now it goes straight to black screen with the no entry sign.
    When I start up with cmd + R it goes to a spinning globe and asks me to choose network in a drop down.
    My internet does not show on the list despite being strong, and close to the router.
    I have tried starting up in safe mode with no result.
    I have reset, pressing down option but it will not start from the internal hard drive when I select that. I have reset pressing option ,plugged in an old Time machine backup from my other mac and selected that drive using the option method but it doesn't find the backup, but does intermittently have the grey folder with the question mark icon appear.
    I've reset PRAM et al but nothing works.
    Can anyone help please, I've run out of options and forums.

2. MacPeasant123 macrumors newbie

My experience with a No Entry sign on my MacBook Pro is like what others below have said before: the sign means it can't find your startup disk. That could mean either:

-your hard drive cable has gone bad (this happened to me twice)
    -you have a bad hard drive
    -other possibilities I have not heard of before (see the threads below)

1) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/no-entry-sign-on-boot.1723282/

it is very likely a bad drive. It could also be a bad drive cable or even a bad logic board

2) https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ng-a-no-entry-sign-and-a-folder-icon.1081498/

The no entry symbol means it can't find your startup disk.

3. Lordgumboot thread starter macrumors newbie

Lordgumboot

Thanks for replying. This Macbook Air is less than Two weeks old so any internal complications are probably not applicable in this case.
    Especially since the mac computer was working completely fine up until the point of erasing the disc.

4. 0007776 Suspended

If it's less than two weeks old is taking it in to an apple store an option for you?

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Just curious: Why did you need to "return to factory settings" on a two-week old system?
    Where you already having some kind of problem with the drive?

If it will not be convenient to take to an Apple store, you are entitled to call AppleCare for help, too!

You can also boot to your Diagnostics, for your own entertainment (and perhaps enlightenment, too)
    Restart, holding the D key.

6. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

You said your MBA is less than two weeks old. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar and have them reinstall the OS.