Oh, Siri!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GrumpyMom, May 6, 2015.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I love my Apple Watch. I'm using it to do most of my texting now because my typing has always been atrocious on my iPhone and iPad and Autocorrect is diabolical.

Alas, Siri is not without her moments, too. I thought I'd share a couple of recent funny ones exchanged with my husband. One is about the sugar ant invasion in our kitchen. The other is about the possibility of having Calzones for dinner.

Attached Files:

2. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

The part that got cut off

Attached Files:

3. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Honey would you like cow zones for dinner?

Attached Files:

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It takes a true # fan to have fun with poor speech recognition. I gave Siri a couple of tries on iPhone and stopped using it completely, it's totally useless for me.

5. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I still use Siri for dictation on my iPhone, but there are very few that I can send as is without making an edit or two. The average is probably two edits per dictated message sent.

There's no way to do it on the watch, so if Siri goes off the rails, I guess you just have to scrap the message and start over.

I have a neutral midwest accent and have tried normal conversation and deliberately enunciating my words, but the net effect is the same. I can't imagine dictating on the watch without the ability to edit.

Siri is still a long way away for my money to being really useful.

6. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I've texted from the watch many times now using Siri & she's 99% correct for me. She did have a problem with "feeder" (as in bird) & kept putting it as "theater". Other than that, it's been fantastic -- better than on the phone although that also works pretty well.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

8. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Well it actually takes a quirky sense of humor, I suppose.

Oh most of the time Siri is very accurate for me. More so on the Apple watch than on the iPhone, as a matter of fact. I have a very clear voice and excellent diction. I have a slight southern drawl as a result of growing up around some transplants from deeper southern states, but growing up in the Mid-Atlantic region I am aware of it and tone it down when speaking to Siri.

But aunts vs. ants tripped Siri up. That's actually the third version of the text. I deleted two previous attempts. So by then I was frustrated and mumbling at Siri so Siri got other words wrong.

The Calzones text was sent while I was standing in the garden, quite a mess. I could not touch my phone with dirty hands but could use my watch to text. It rinses clean, after all. There was quite a lot of ambient noise at that time so it did decently well under the circumstances. I sent other texts from the garden that turned out fine. It is still so much better than autocorrect is for me. I hate texting from my phone and will rely on Siri from now on.

My husband has a lower pitched voice and does not enunciate or speak very clearly because he has the atrocious habit of mumbling. So he has had some problems at first. I do think Siri is being a bit of a speech therapist and breaking him of some bad habits, because I notice he mumbles to me less! He's dictated many texts to me successfully recently.

I'm not implying YOU mumble. The watches aren't working uniformly well for everyone across all of the features. From taptic feedback to speaker quality to accuracy of Siri, there's been some variance.

9. anez macrumors 6502

anez

Siri is surprisingly competent most of the time for me, so the only really memorable incident has been when it decided not to show the text on the screen at all, so I repeated my message three times, and it sent all of them-- improperly.

I was trying to tell my mother that I was on my way to visit her for tea, and what sent was this:

She was a bit bemused by how I somehow gained a decade overnight, and was having my birthday at the wrong time of year...

10. GrumpyMom thread starter macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Oh goodness!

It will be interesting to see what Siri comes up with. I expect to start seeing a few Siri goofs on the "Damn You, Autocorrect" site if it still exists.

11. Tæylor Suspended

Tæylor

Hahahahahaha sounds so funny :):D:p

12. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I noticed Siri is pretty good at updating words along the way based on the context. I guess she couldn't figure out the context of "aunts in the kitchen" or "cow zones for dinner". :D

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Siri works remarkably well for me and I depend on it all the time. I ask Siri to give me the latest score from across the room and she does a great job. Best while driving and sending a short text.

14. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

hahahahaha!!!!!!

I like to make Siri say bad words *blush*. I'll purposely sent my hubby texts with bad words just to hear Siri dictate it back to me before sending (of course that's in the car not on the watch!)