Oh so close

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bubba22, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Bubba22 macrumors newbie

Ughh I just have to share my frustration. I was going to upgrade my harddrive in my early 08 MBP and had read the online instructions and was ready to go. I knew ahead of time I'd need a T6 so I asked my boss (I work in a bike shop) if I could borrow his set of Torx wrenches. He lent me a T5 and I thought I'd give it a try. Well everything went great and I got inside the case no problem (the T5 worked fine on the RAM compartment without rounding out any heads). I get to the inside and I get everything ready to go and I try to pull out the hard drve itself. This is when I realize that there are two more Torx bolts holding the hard drive down, no problem my T5 will solve this...wrong. The T5 was just oh too small and I didn't want to risk rounding the heads so I had to put everything back together until I can make it to a hardware store :( Oh well the whole process was relatively easy so the second time it should go by quicker.

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Sucks dude...when it says T6, it means T6. I would recommend that you purchase a set of tools to have for stuff like this. I remember I tried to open a iBook Clamshell last year, but I didnt have a torx wrench. Didn't work out too well, so I went to the store and stocked up. Much better now.

3. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

plus 1, i almost rounded my screw heads...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No one should ever attempt anything concerning a computer without the proper tools.

A $1000 + machine and you're going to risk it on a $2.00 screwdriver?

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Try living in Deadskunk, America. It's so backwards and rural here our movie theater just got Police Academy 7. :D

No such thing as a T6 here. I had to get the pony express to bring one in.

6. Bubba22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me clarify for a minute here, when I used the T5 on the first two bolts in the RAM compartment it fit snugly (which I checked before applying pressure to the wrench because I know how big of a pain it is to remove rounded heads). These first bolts loosened fine as would be expected since the wrench fit. When I got to the last two bolts mounting the hard drive to the case the wrench had play in it (I checked again as a precaution once again because I know rounding out screw heads would be a pain in the ass). I stopped because clearly the wrench I had wouldn't work. I was curious at the time and tried sticking the torx wrench in another screw with a torx head and it once again fit snug. So I'm really just bummed that I made it to the point where I was pretty well done the job but have nothing to show for it.