Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I'm back in not-so-long-ago nostalgia mode, I think my last one was on the PS1 during the summer of '06.

Picked it up back in college, my 2nd year. Only cost £30 with an absurd number of games, controllers... Even the keyboard! I basically received a collection in an instant. We played loads through college and university, mostly Street Fighter 3 and other fighters which seemed to be in an abundant supply on the DC.

I was cleaning my wardrobe out and split my single, but giant, retro box into 2 (added the Gamecube to it, RIP). Couldn't really find anywhere to put the jock off DC Arcade Stick so I got it all out and tried wiring it up, before realising I had no sufficient video cable (booo RF). Ordered a SCART cable off eBay and bam. I'm back with the Dreamcast! Just ordered Marvel vs Capcom 2, Ikaruga [sp?] and Metal Slug and we should be back in action!

So I'm asking really, what are your DC experiences? And what were (are?) your favourite games? Was it too far ahead of its time (VMU, online play?) in your opinion?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
So I'm asking really, what are your DC experiences? And what were (are?) your favourite games? Was it too far ahead of its time (VMU, online play?) in your opinion?

I'm in Manchester too! I have a couple of Dreamcasts. Too far ahead of their time. SEGA are a legendary company.

I have over 200 games for the machine. Ikaruga (correct ;)) is fantastic and you won't put Capcom VS SNK down for months. VMUs are awesome - I remember carrying mine around and loading it into a Metal Slug Arcade Machine and a Sega Rally 2 Machine in London.

It's a true gaming masterpiece and still beats the PS2 in my opinion. Its a work of genius and I am nearly getting a lump in my throat... :(

I love the bloody thing and will keep it forever.

Enjoy it dude.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Jet Grind Radio was my most favorite game on the DC. Everything else was unimportant since I'm too much into fighting games or they eventually got ported elsewhere. Virtual On is another favorite, but I've only played the arcade version.

Every other Dreamcast game I've played and enjoyed have been ported to other consoles which stops me from picking up a Dreamcast second-hand.

I was enjoying some Jet Grind Radio last night through the emulator nullDC. Too bad analog support is shoddy so you can't get past the tutorial because of the larger tags that require more controller input. I just ordered a X-Box 360 Wireless PC adapter, so I'm going to play with that when that comes. :)

Still, unfortunate the DC had to be discontinued. Something about the machine was sharper and brighter than the PS2 and comparable to the GameCube and X-Box.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
My friend had a dreamcast, I had no idea what the hell it was until i saw him playing NFL 2k on it. The graphics were pretty nice, I thought that it couldn't at all compare to PS2 but it actually did compare pretty nicely.

Too bad it failed.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I was a freshie at Uni when it came out in Japan. Hung out with a guy starting an anime club since he ordered one from Japan. We played Sonic on it. Didn't touch one again till three years later. Picked one up at a Pawn Shop with 10 games or so for a little less than you paid.

Loved that system. My friend and I played it to death...literally for the system. Played Shenmu, Soul Calibur, Sonic, some boxing game, a really good Hockey game and others.

It was a really nice system, but mostly at that price. I bought so many games for it for less than 5$. It did cause one of the worst gaming moments in the world for me though. Some Tomb Raider on that thing had impossible controls and in one level we literally threw the remote at the TV...thankfully missing.

Paul

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
That would have to be a toss up between Virtua Tennis and Powerstone 2, with Soul Caliber in third. The first two both had awesome four player modes and therefore made for great nights in with mates. I used to love the arguements we'd get in playing tennis - "I thought we'd gone sides", "Why did/didn't you leave that?" "You're a f**king idiot". Just like playing in real life only you actually get up after playing a diving return on a hard court.

Plus one of the Masters was Morgan Freeman.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I bought it near it's end for fairly cheap. PSO, Jet Grind, and Soul Calibur, all awesome games. First online game for me was PSO, it was so sweet and it was free. I played SC non-stop, perfecting each guy, and Jet Grind was so different and new, it was amazing. Too bad the DC went the way it did.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Seaman, Virtua Tennis, Marvel vs Capcom 2, NBA 2k1 and NFL 2k, Soul Calibur, Star Wars Jedi Power Battles, Sonic.............

the Dreamcast IS an awesome gaming system :)

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
I got a Dreamcast off ebay about a year ago. Quality console. Sega Rally, that my friends is the way forward!

Shame it doesn't suppose broadband onlineness. Although IIRC they've switched it off now aint they?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I got a Dreamcast off ebay about a year ago. Quality console. Sega Rally, that my friends is the way forward!

Shame it doesn't suppose broadband onlineness. Although IIRC they've switched it off now aint they?

You can still play fantasy star online I think, you need a special proxy or something. That may be old now though. There is a BB adaptor too!

shenmue is where it's at. OMG! If I were single, and not doing a Ph.D, I would sooooo play this constatly.:rolleyes:

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Oh man. I loved my Dreamcast so much (still do). I have so much games for it since they are dirt cheap now. I remember when Shenmue first came out. I spent an incredible amount of time on that game.

Either Powerstone is still a blast to play with a large group of people.

I'm definitely hooking it up at my new place in a few days.

quikssurfer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
KCMO

My DC is next to my 360... my favorite games Shenmue(my fav game of all time), Resident Evil Code Veronica, Power Stone II.. there are others. Dreamcast was definitely before its time. Love my VMU :)
good times playing Quake 3 Arena and NFL2k1 online w/my keyboard in my lap.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I loved my Dreamcast. Skies of Arcadia, RE: Code: Veronica, Jet Grind Radio, Chu-Chu Rocket...good times, man.

Most underrated game on the console?

TOY COMMANDER

Amazingly fun four-player.

Cheesecake

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
I love my dreamcast. We've been through a lot together. I learned alot about console homebrew from it, had some great game times on it, and pretty much wore it down to the bone playing it so much. And while a lot of my fav games from the system have appeared on other systems (Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast, Rez on PS2, PSO on GC/Xbox/PC, ect...) I will always remember it as the system that brought it to me first.

Seganet? That was some cool stuff back in the day.

It's such a shame that SEGA just got too far into debt and couldn't finish the race. My Dreamcast gets played more often than my Xbox and Wii get combined. That's a testiment to a true system right there. I don't need to fancy gimmicks, I want a system that not only has balls, but doesn't give a crap about what the others are doing.

Everything about the system was all about doing things differently. Online play, The VMU (proud owner of several with still working batteries and an official 4x), the games that appeared on the system, everything. It wasn't perfect, but it thought.

And you know what? It's still thinking.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
My DC is next to my 360... my favorite games Shenmue(my fav game of all time), Resident Evil Code Veronica, Power Stone II.. there are others. Dreamcast was definitely before its time. Love my VMU :)
good times playing Quake 3 Arena and NFL2k1 online w/my keyboard in my lap.

It's almost like I posted that myself!

I also second the post above mine. It's a truely amazing system. I have some collectors models from Japan too. Limited editions.

I love it. I almost wish I could go back to when there were new releases (note - some games are still being made for it! Few and far between though...).

I love it. Actual love. :rolleyes:

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
the dc is probably my favorite console...a wonderful bit of kit. All of my friends had one and we'd play for hours through the night! My particular favorites were crazy taxi, jet grind radio, soul cally, quake 3 arena and virtua tennis. Such a shame that it failed. For those who fancy a trip down console memory lane, here's a video of how it failed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NfgF08EQE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.