oh the horrors of applecare!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamac, Jun 29, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

so, i've had this issue with kernel panics for a while... talked to a lot of applecare reps on the phone... sent it in once, only to have them do nothing other than reinstall os x (which i had already done)... sent it in again (also asked them to look at a spot on my screen) - got it back today and discovered they fixed the screen but didn't even look into the kernel panics.

i talked with a customer service person who is now sending me yet another box to ship my computer back in for them to (not) fix it a third time.

:mad:

this is my first apple, and though i have loved my computer, i am very unimpressed with apple technicians.

2. skierdude macrumors member

skierdude

sounds like your luck is bound to turn around.

3. Gandhi macrumors regular

Kernel panics are usually a sign of bad memory. Did you add after market memory? Download some memory checking software, or swap out the memory to see if the panics go away.

4. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Yes, look at memory first. Memory modules were very cheap but the price on them is going up. I'd save the hassle and just replace the memory on your own and not bother with Applecare if it fails Memtest. Good opportunity to up your ram (but don't zap in installing it).

5. geoffy macrumors regular

Is bad memory the only cause of frequent kernel panics? Is the Apple hardware test adequate at detecting memory issues?

6. rumplestiltskin macrumors regular

FOURTH time is the charm

If your Mac has been repaired three times under AppleCare and you're talking with Apple about having them repair it for the fourth time, tell them you're "not really confident that the machine will ever be repaired" and "couldn't they just replace it with a new unit?"

Be nice about it (never demanding) and you'd be surprised what they will do for you. I had an iMac and a MacBook (both about 12 months old) that had been repaired 3 or 4 times each in the last year; AppleCare replaced them both with new units.

Remember: Honey, not Vinegar!
    :D

7. Sopranino macrumors 6502

No, but it is a leading cause. The Apple hardware test will detect most hardware issues, including memory. It should be enough to get an idea as to the problem.

Have you tried re-seating your memory sticks?

Sopranino

8. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

You need to run this:

http://www.memtestosx.org/

Follow their directions carefully then you can make a better determination if it memory or something in your OS.

Just checked the download, they're charging for it now.

9. CapitalQ macrumors member

I read comments like this and start wondering why I chose an Apple notebook. Eek. Hopefully mine will turn out fine, looks like it's scheduled to be delivered on Monday! :)

10. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

ran tests.. all of my memory is fine. i have one mem card from crucial plus the one that came with the laptop, but the kernel panics happen whether the extra memory is in or not. checking the memory was the first step i took.

11. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

Does it do it more when plugged in or on battery power? Could be the power. Other than that, its your settings or a faulty install.

12. Streitzguy macrumors member

After you sent the box to Apple, how long did it take for you to receive your computer back?

13. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Don't worry about it - I work as a technician for a business that does warranty repairs for the major PC brands (Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer etc.) and sells Apple Products (doesn't normally repair) and trust me when I tell you that ALL machines have their problems, and when theres one Hardware problems, its not too unusual for there to be more - the advantage with having a mac is that they generally do a good job at taking care of you if you do have problems - trust me when I say convincing HP or Dell to give you a replacement product is a much bigger pain in the neck - even when its their own technicians telling them its needed.