Oh Thunderbolt why art thou?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BarkingGhost, Jun 23, 2012.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

I am trying to figure out what the consumer (not the commercial) market is looking for in terms of peripherals for the TB port. The wife's 2011Q4 27" iMac has wireless and wired connectivity, USB2.0, etc. and in her life, the life of a consumer, I wondered what it could be used for.

Then I bought her a USB3.0 external drives and realized the TB port with a simple TB2USB3 would be terrific, but unfortunately it seems Apple is staying away from USB3.

Its nice that the wife can get a TB-based second monitor, a commercial grade external storage array, and now an adapter for a second physical Ethernet port (which she doesn't need), but something along the lines of fully utilizing the USB3 transfer benefit will remain outside the domain of Appledom and strictly in the domain of the 3rd party extortionists in their TB accessory boxes offer DVI (WTF?), USB2x2, Ethernet (again, not needed) and one lowly USB3 port for a $250 ransom.

I wonder of TB, though its Intel-x86 Windows partners will drive a better accessory offering. As of now, TB is a disappointment for consumers--but I imagine a win for commercial users.

2. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

Untile Thunderbolt is fully adopted by all PC users expect accessories to be limited. If Intel does persuade other system makers to adopt it then it could potentially lead to some interesting developments given the available bandwidth.

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I am much looking forward to hubs for it. If there were a matte Thunderbolt display, I'd have one or two.