Oh wait. My MacBook Pro hard drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VincentPun, May 21, 2008.

1. VincentPun macrumors member

I have been enjoying my MBP (apart from the negligible dead/stuck pixel that I am not going to take care of it). But today I found a little strange thing on my MBP when I try to re-install Windows on my MBP.

My hard drive is in fact only... 200GB?

My MacBook Pro was only customized to have a High-Res display but not the hard drive. I have checked the hard drive in my MBP and it is a 5400rpm drive.

It's almost 2 months since the arrival of my MBP. I know it is too late the find this thing but what can I do? I just don't want to open my MBP and install a 250GB drive by myself. This would probably void my warranty (since I am a really careless person).

Edit: Just now I have checked the sticker on my MBP box. It says MBPRO 17/2.5GHz/HI - RES/2x1G/250/SD/ITP. But it's really, 200GB only.

2. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

I'm not much help but...

Change your sig. :D

If the specifics of the MBP you ordered stated 250GB...then they owe you a 250GB hard drive. Make an appointment with the Apple store, bring your OS X install disk along.

Edit: It could be that 200GB is the free space available for a Windows partition?

3. nufanec macrumors regular

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but humor me.

In disk utility, click on the hard disk (not one of the partitions, the actual drive) and check the total capacity. On a formatted 250Gb disk, it should read in the region of 232Gb. Then check your partitions. When I set up bootcamp on my 250Gb drive, I went for the 32Gb Windows partition (one of the preset options), meaning the formatted capacity of my OS X drive is 200Gb.

4. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

5. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

Yes it sounds stupid. But unfortunately it is true.

Sorry but I am really a careless person, I think I would just ruin my MBP.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wouldn't it be nice if these hard drive companies would list a number that isn't off by 20GB? (I have a 320, OS tells me it's 297)

Sounds like you got it fixed at least. You should be good with 200GB of internal space. If you run out, easiest thing to do is buy a My Passport drive. No power supply needed. It's a little WD notebook hard drive in a case. I turned my old internal into one of those after I plopped this bigger one in. They're quite neat.

7. polycat33 macrumors 6502

So was the problem resolved? Was it that the windows partition was taking up the extra 32gb? Or is it really 200GB total?

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

It's not their fault, they are listing it correctly. Creators of operating systems are presenting the units incorrectly.

9. JU1CYFRU1T macrumors newbie

I don't think this is correct. IIRC, the problem is that the company is saying "250GB because it can hold 250,000 Kilobytes... when the numbers don't actually translate correctly. There are 8 bits in a byte... not 10, so the company is simply 'fudging' the numbers. Don't forget that there is also space taken up by the OS for all it's info/other-junk.

I gave Vista a 32 GB partition and I only have ~16 GB available. I don't care, because I'm only using Vista for school (damn servers aren't 'Mac ready')... so it doesn't bother me.

If I'm wrong, please let me know... I would rather be corrected (and not respost this somewhere else) than have someone worry about hurting my feelings...

10. VincentPun thread starter macrumors member

I have checked with Disk Utility, and it's really 200GB only. :(

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you post a screenshot?