Oh well another 27" iMac bites the dust!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SpitUK, Mar 25, 2010.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

I swicthed to my 1st mac on Monday. Ive posted about it and have been well pleased. Spent hours transferring things and setting it up.

Got home today and it will not turn on. HDD spins but no screen.

My RAM upgrade just came today as well.

Spoke to the support in india and they ran through everything but its got to go back to the store. My nearest store is 80miles away and I cannot get there until Saturday.

Seems like everything you buy these days just doesnt last. Bought a DAB radio 1 month ago and that packed up last week.

2. JimKirk macrumors 6502

This is easy to fix

Unplug it from wall.

Upon powering on press CMD+Option+P+R

Until you hear the bong twice. Screen should come on after that.

3. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried all that with the guy from india. No joy :( Can hear the HDD spin up etc and the fans are working but no screen.

4. Halethorpe macrumors newbie

I'd say this posting is a total hoax.
    The way I understand it, Apple tried several years ago to open phone support based in India, but packed up shop after six months of training.
    . . . It never happened.

That's one of the reasons why Apple Support garners such high ratings.

5. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL, i wish it was a hoax. I rang the sheffield number and went to support. it took a bit longer to connectt hen I had an indian sounding guy who I struggled to understand. It may of been in my country but the experience was no different to my banks call centre.

6. Halethorpe macrumors newbie

Okay. . . . I'm in the U.S. and it might make a difference in call centers, . . . er, call centres.

Try calling again to see if you still have the accent problem. You can ask to be transferred to someone else, or a supervisor.

It sounds like a RAM problem to me. Did you already try to install the extra RAM?

7. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

No problem :) I put the 2 ram modules in. I didnt power it on when i got back so i dont know if it was that. I have tried all combinations of the ram since but its dead.

I have built tons of PC's in the past so im not a complete novice.

8. Halethorpe macrumors newbie

Yeah, . . . it sounds like RAM. Apple RAM has to be really seated well, and Macs don't tolerate bad RAM. No screen is a symptom. Just look at it as another excuse to visit an Apple store. Here in the U.S. we can make appointments with a Genius, for a visit. I'd suggest this.

Let me assure you and everyone else. I'm using an i7 with 8 gigs of Apple RAM. I ordered this machine machine the second day they were released for sale, and I've used it since mid-November. This machine is flawless as far as I can see, . . . and it's a screamer.

9. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Halethorpe. I got the ram off ebay, came well packaged and guy said it had come out of his imac 27 after he upgraded to 16gb.

I have tried reseating everything but no joy.

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Mac's are computers too, so they too can die.

I guess you know that computers either fail in the first couple of weeks, or after a couple of years.

Sorry you pulled a bad-Mac.

BTW, Spit-fire?
    As in Supermarine? ;)

11. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

OMFG :( :( just realised what ive done, i put the ram in when it was in sleep mode!! Effectively its still on i think??

With my PC i always shut it down and switch off. I put the mac to sleep to try it last night then this afternoon just went on auto pilot when my ram had arrived and installed.

What an idiot, ive been building computers for years and never had a problem.

Ps. no Spit is from my surname, but cool plane.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep, that could definitely kill a computer. Nice one! :p

Oh well. New computer on the way, yet?

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

When something happens to my iMac about the last place I come to is MacRumors. Not because there aren't plenty of knowledgeable people here, but because taking it to an Apple store usually gets the problem resolved in 15 minutes or less.

The amount of FUD these days is making these forums almost unreadable. I'm quite sure Apple users don't go trolling Dell forums for fun.

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

Eh? Who's trolling here? I usually find people on Macrumors are infinitely more knowledgeable than the "Geniuses" at the Mac stores.

15. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Actually, he (Xtremehkr) has a point. I've noticed the same thing about the forums lately. I've only been to the Genius bar twice but my experiences have been decent for the most part. Some forum members are great...others aren't. The same can probably be said about Geniuses, though, but you won't see the same type of stuff in the forums coming from a Genius's mouth. Yeah, this place has a ton of FUD but its no different than any other internet forum, I guess.

16. JimKirk macrumors 6502

When upgrading RAM always unplug machine and ground yourself

Amazing.

People do stuff like this and then blame Apple.

17. WilliamG macrumors 604

Must agree. The first post makes it sound like he just got home and tried turning on his iMac. The truth being that he just got home, tried installing RAM in a computer that was still on, and broke it. Oh well...

18. palane macrumors member

So?

Having lived in Sheffield, I can assure you that there is a substantial Asian population there. [Note to the Americans on the board, Asian means India, Pakistan, and possibly Bangladesh in England.] I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone working in England had an Indian or Pakistani accent.

BB

19. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I actually thought about that last night. You can be East Indian and still be in the UK/US/FRA/whatever working for Apple.