Oh what to buy..?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Symonkey1, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Symonkey1 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Recently I destroyed my Sony Vaio laptop with coffee! :( and have claimed through my insurance for a new one. The replacements they have offered me are:-

Sony Vaio - NW21ZFS
    Macbook Pro 13" base model but i have to add £125
    Imac 21.5" base model - but i have to add £170

No cash alternative!

During this claim I have bought an Imac from my girlfriends school - it is a 1yr old 20" Imac 8.1 2.4 processor.

I love the Imac but miss having a laptop and am really at a loss of what to do. Any ideas would be great.

Do you think that the base macbook pro is a poor spec for the money? Baring in mind my Imac is a yr old and is of better spec and cost the same amount new....?

I really doubt ill like the 13" screen but cant afford the 15".

Will there be anything new out soon?

Regards

S

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Rumor has it that the MacBook Pro line will be upgraded sometime in January. Most likely with a larger hard drive and slightly faster processors.

iMacs (and all desktops for that matter) are ALWAYS going to have better specs than a laptop would. But if you want the portability, just go with the laptop. Besides, the 13" MacBook Pro is Apple's most popular Mac — and for good reason: it's awesome. Even as the entry model.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Beggars can't be choosers.

1) If you loved your Vaio, get a new one
    2) If you love the iMac, get the MacBook Pro now. 13" is portable and you already have an iMac for a bigger screen
    3) You already have an iMac, and want portability, so why are you even considering this?

4. Symonkey1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi yes sorry I ddnt explain all that well. I can only afford to keep one computer. I only bought the iMac as a stop gap during the claim and have fallen in love with macs - bar my phone it's my first experience.

That's my issue really - would I miss it if it was gone?? Also I would be gutted to say the least if the mbp is updated In only 1 months time.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I would say go for the 13 inch. Even if newer models come out who cares you still have a GREAT machine. The 13 inch is amazing (two of my friends have one) and you can always hook it to an external monitor for more screen real estate.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The overall Mac lineup right now is great across the board. I just got
    a Amazon personal gold box deal for the high end Mac Mini for
    $726. No tax or shipping.....thats almost 10% off the regular price.

I am actually considering it although no computer purchase was planned.