Oh won't you staaaand, byyyy me

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by alxths, Apr 16, 2008.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

In the wake of all these rumors and news stories of updates and intel's new processors I'm sure there are many people here who are holding on to their good ol' G4's and whatnot while they wait for apple to release something that enables them to justify making the jump to a new machine.

I thought it'd be fun for those of us who are still truckin' on old hardware to post pictures of and talk about the computers that have stood by us for all this time :eek:

I've been using a 12" PowerBook G4 for four and a half years now and the only problems it's given me was a dead HD about three and a half years in. Replacing the HD led to (in combination with my carelessness) some of the cosmetic damage on the ol' boy seen below.

I spent a good deal of time browsing the MR forums back in '03 while I was getting ready to make my purchase. It's a strange feeling coming back to it now that I'm ready to get the latest and greatest again. Back then, Macs were still all stuck on the G4 processor which at that point was lagging behind the competition quite a bit. The saving grace was going to be IBM's G5 which after all of the anticipation and excitement back then, isn't even in the line-up anymore. Who remembers the premature specification?

At the same time, as they say, as much as things change, they always stay the same (or whatever). Even though the hardware's different, the basic discussions are all the same.. unfortunately, the discussions about apple's quality control haven't changed much :mad:

In any case, I got off track. Let's hear about some other people who are still hanging on to old hardware for their main machines. What do you use it for? What are you upgrade plans? (if any)

Mine's a rev. b 12" PB. I use it for e-mail, websurfing, all that, as well as statistical programs and office for school. The main thing that's getting to me about the PB is it's screen size (not very nice when you're using spreadsheets or staring at graphs for hours on end) and that a lot of websites and seemingly basic programs (like office 2008) are starting to cause slow-down.

I'm waiting on the montevina updates to get a new MBP, but if there are a lot of rev. a bugs, then I'll probably just buy an external monitor and wait until apple works the kinks out.

Attached Files:

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I have a 3 year old 1.5GHz 1.25GB 12" PB which runs surprisingly well with Leopard. In fact, it's more stable than my wife's C2D MB (I like to blame x86 architecture for that :D). My plan is to run this thing into the ground before buying a new one ... just bought a house and we're having a boy! in July.

By the way, great idea for a thread.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:D

I'm keeping my iBook G4. Its kind of become a way for my Xbox 360 to connect to the internet, and I've talked of selling it, but I've yet to get around to it. She was a good book, but now my Asus has taken over

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Still chugging away on a 12" 1.33 GHz iBook G4. I really like the screen size, it's very hard to find a 12" laptop these days.

My "desktop" is a 12" iBook G3 800 MHz, hooked up to an external monitor. It works well for when I don't feel like using a laptop.

Pics in a moment, I'm actually on my PC right now...

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I went down stairs after I read this thread, got my iBook, and took some iPhone pictures of it

Attached Files:

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, this is an old setup, as this desk is where my PC resides now, but it shows both of them together, easier then taking two new pictures and bluetoothing them.

Oh BTW, the G3 is on the left, G4 on the right. They're both great Macs. :)

The iMac is kind of just for show. Well in fact, it's back in the closet right now...

Attached Files:

7. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that an antique radio I see on the right?

I don't think I could sell mine. I'm not one to make electronic devices in to something they aren't, but this thing has been an integral part of my life for more than four years now. I think what I'll end up doing is using this as a music server or maybe getting a new battery for it and giving it to a family member who needs something to surf the net and watch movies. Letting alone the cosmetic damage that would bring the price down a fair bit.

8. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I have a three year old 17" iMac G5. It's been a great computer, and I can't believe it's that old. The only problems I've had with it have been when the hard disk died about two years ago, but I had the Genius Bar get me a new one for free and recover my data; and my video and power aren't working, so it is in the Genius Bar as I speak with a new logic board and power supply, complimentary thanks to the recall. I want to replace my iMac soon, though, because I'm going to be travelling a lot this summer for business, and I think having Final Cut Pro on the road will be really helpful.

Right now, I'm using a 2001 iMac G3, which I started using in 2004 when I initially switched. It, too, has been a good computer, even though my sister slipped her diamond necklace down it when it was new. :eek:

9. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Good question. Looks like one.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

ahh, my iMac G5...I was going to sell it, then I traded it for a iMac G4(with someone in my house, but that was to sell it, which never happened.)

My iMac G5 was my first Mac, I'll do my best to keep that one with me forever,

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yes it is. My grandmother gave it to me a few years ago, still works.
    :)

12. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Ahh, the iMac G4...I've yearned for one of those. I think that was one of the best designs from Apple. Too bad they were too expensive to manufacture. I thought about buying a used one from my local third party Mac store, but I've never had the money for a used Mac, and I wouldn't really have a purpose for one, anyway.

I sold my sister's grape G3 to pay for my G5, which I sort of regret, since it was our first Mac, but it went towards a good thing.

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm typing this post on a 24 month old 1.5 Ghz PB G4 maxed out. It runs Leopard well... much better than I though it would, and will certainly be around for a long time to come (or until Apple realizes their mistake and makes a 12" MBP). I just bought a new battery for it the other day and that brought a lot of new life into the machine now that its battery will last for so much longer now (5 hrs, I'm serious, as opposed to 1).

Here's a pic of it next to it's big brother at my other house.

Attached Files:

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

The husband and I have got two white iMac G5's and this is being typed on a 15" powerbook G4. We're keeping our "old" gear until 'death do us part' :p (but we've also got a new mac pro)

15. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Im happy with my little iBook G4, 14", 1.42 GHz. I still love it.

Its starting to run a little slow (Sims 2 Bon Voyage...... Loading screens can be 30 min or more......), and Im running out of HDD space.

I plan on getting a MBP around June for my birthday, conveniently around the Montevina update.

16. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I use an iBook G3 700 at work, as a secondary machine for my Windows desktop, and use an iMac G3 400 at home for my home computing. That's right baby, 400 MHz! The iMac is pretty much only good for basic Internet stuff, and playing my mp3s. But, I made a pact with myself not to splurge on anything big until I've paid off my student loans, so I'm just going to have to suffer for the next couple of months.

Pretty much any time I've been close to breaking down, and getting something second-hand, that would be better, but in my price range, Apple comes out with some new feature in OS X that requires some spiffy new thing that only the newest computers have, so I don't give in. It helps that they still don't have DVD burners in their low-end offerings, and that all those all-in-ones' screens have noticeably inferior colour range to my CRT, and that Core 2 Duos are so much better than anything in the second-hand market.