Oh yes Apple what now (update?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macowner2, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Macowner2 macrumors newbie

I run a 266iMac + a laptop pro using wireless via a Time Capsule.
    My problem is I use a HP photosmart C4380 via the airport, according to
    the About this Mac the hp driver installed is version 2.3.1, as it is now everything including the status widget on the dashboard works perfectly.
    I am constantly getting a New Software Available flag coming up saying HP driver version 1.1.1 needs installing. Surely this driver will degrade the latest installed driver:confused:
    The present driver was installed running the app. HP_installer PCS4380_V9.7.1.dmg.

Can anybody out there explain what's going on:rolleyes:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure that the 1.1.1 driver Software Update is offering you is Apple's HP driver package version 1.1.1. It will almost certainly contain a pile of individual drivers, each of which will probably have its own version number.

Not having any HP printers myself I can't say for sure, but it's also possible that Apple's drivers are just plain different from HPs, although it seems more likely they're just repackaging HP-supplied ones.

Bottom line being if you update using Software Update, you'll probably end up with a driver for your printer that is either a similar version number to what you have, or a different displayed version number but is similar functionally to what you have.

It probably doesn't matter much which you use. If what you have now is relatively recent and is doing everything you want it to without issue, there's no particular advantage in downloading the Apple update. If it's having problems, try the Apple one and see if it helps. And if you're one of those 'must install all updates' types, go for it--it'll probably do nothing exciting, although it WILL lock you in to future automatic driver updates without having to download them manually from HP, in the event something does get added or fixed.

3. Macowner2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yes Apple what now (update?)

Many Thanks Makosuke
    That ties it up nicely. It seems a pity the 2 outfits can't work together in this day and age.
    I think I will go ahead with what you say, "If it aint broke don't fix it" having been down the route of degrading once before a year ago or so, involving VM Fusion.
    Kind regards