Ohhhh that dual camera (7s vs 7plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Sep 8, 2016.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hey,

I was planning on going to get the 7 (still need to figure out black vs jet black to match my nMP)...but the dual camera with depth of field tempts me hard I gotta tell you!
    I hate the size of the 7+, but that shallow depth of field effect man, that's just amazing! At first I was disappointed when they said the dual camera was just about the zoom, but that they implemented this is truly amazing to me as a hobby photographer.
    What do you think, just get the 7 and then next year the 8, which will hopefully include the dual lense on the smaller model too? Or get used to the new size?

2. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

I went plus last year but then before that I had large android devices...

Ditto on the camera though. Drool. Darn you apple £££€€€$$$

3. wxnats macrumors 6502a

Go with the plus. I love the size and that camera looks ah-mazing.

4. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

I suppose I'll have to wait with pre ordering till October anyways, cause I'll go on vacation on the 17th and the risk of a non delivery on the 16th and the phone getting shipped back is way too high I think... So I can wait and check it out after the holiday, plus I still have a perfectly fine 6s.

5. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

If the portrait mode actually works as advertised, it would be a great feature. I'm a DSLR enthusiast and own a couple of f/1.4 lenses that I use to create the kind of subject isolation that was shown in the yesterday's event. I do find it odd though that this feature will still be a "Work in progress" at launch day. No way to know how well it will really work until it's out in the wild and can be tested.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Here's some crazy rationalizing to "Get the size you want".

Apple said the dual-camera Portrait Mode will not be available at launch. It is through a software update "Later this Year".

Since this is Apple we are talking about then "Later this Year" can mean October 1 OR it can mean December 31. So IF a software implementation you want is 3months away then that means you are paying an extra $129 for a larger size phone you don't want just to get a camera feature that you only get to use it for 9months before you upgrade to the iPhone X size that you really want.

For me, its Plus all the way so it works out for me. But I do feel bad for regular 7 users because if it doesnt get the dual camera then this isn't nearly as big of an upgrade from the 6S.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I saw that camera and I was like @#$(*&%()@#&*@# I wanted to skip this generation but that camera is awesome.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The duel camera got me. I knew the choice was made.

black plus with 256 for me!

9. mizzourah macrumors regular

I am in the exact same boat as the OP. My wife and I own a photography studio and the draw to that bokeh effect is amazing. Now, of course, we aren't ever doing a client shoot on an iphone, but it does open up some creative options for behind the scene shots, etc. And this isn't replacing our DSLRs in any way whatsoever, but as photographers, that's quite a draw on the 'camera that is always with us'. Anyway, I HATE the large size of the plus. Had a 6+, then went back to just a regular 6s and never regretted it. The camera is such a pull-through product.

The point made about how the feature isn't even active at launch is a good one though and may just tip the scale for me to the regular size, but still, it's quite a feature they put into a size phone that I never wanted to own again.

This is my struggle and not much time to sort it out.

10. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Yes, it's super annoying really. This way they make it appear as if the bigger size was actually "better" because you only get such an important feature with the big version. It shouldn't be about any additional features wether you get the plus or the rugosa one, but just about the screen size, like its with the ipad pro now. Makes it hard enough of a choice!

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I'm really hoping that Apple can deliver a quality bokeh effect with the dual camera setup. Single camera bokeh effects are pretty fake-looking, and I've read that the dual camera smartphones so far produce better results, but still often inconsistent. Maybe the fact that it won't be immediately available at launch means that they are working hard to really optimize this feature.

12. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I am sticking with 7. My wife likes to snap photos and has an interest in it so I am going to upgrade hers to the 7s. She's always watching videos also so it'll be a double benefit for her. If I ever needed the larger phone we could switch out the sims but I think the camera on the 7 will work fine for most people.

13. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I am exactly the opposite. I shoot high end advertising and editorial work and do a ton of black and white fine art on film and use my phone for photos less and less, mostly for scouting shots and other utilitarian things so I am not really interested in the two camera thing on the big 7+. I think for some it will be great but lets be real here, you are getting a 29mm 1.8 wide angle and a 56mm 2.8 slightly longer than normal lens...not an actual telephoto.

You have a bunch of people going bananas over this thinking they they are going to shoot 400mm 2.8-esque wildlife shots with this phone because Apple is calling a 50mm-ish lens a telephoto...kind of comical really.

14. mizzourah macrumors regular

Maybe. After much thought and discussion, we both decided we aren't getting the plus. The size issue outweighs a feature that I hope is more than gimmicky. But we aren't going to be posing portrait shots with bokeh for clients. And any shot that matters to us as parents of our kids, we'll just whip out the SLR, which is commonplace so seems like it wouldn't matter for us.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Agreed the specs aren't that amazing - and you aren't going to get album worthy fine art prints from it, but it's a fun feature to have on a camera that is with most people all the time. It will never replace pro work, but it's still a relatively tough decision overall.