OHIO 3G Coverage-Share your experience.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carrjar, Jul 23, 2008.

1. carrjar macrumors member

I'm considering the upgrade to iPhone 3G, but I'm not sure how solid the signal has been. I'm in Columbus, Ohio area. Yes, I am aware of ATT's tool for showing 3G coverage, but I want to hear from personal experience. I'm interested in all of Ohio. Anybody care to chime in? Thanks so much!:)

2. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I have good coverage in the Cincinnati area.

3. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey carrjar,

I'm probably a good judge as I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago when I switched. I took the plunge on launch day switching from Verizion to AT&T. So far, I have been very happy with my AT&T coverage.

I live on the SE side of town and drive to the N part of town every day. It's a 30+ mile commute. There are a couple of known drop zones on my commute (on Verizon and AT&T 2G). You may be familiar with them too...one is right downtown (slightly north actually) where 670 and 71 meet. The other is where 270 & 33 meet down by Ricart Ford. I used to drop calls at both of those locations consistently and I mean CONSISTENTLY.

Since moving to a 3G iPhone I haven't dropped a single call in those locations. I find that my coverage has been very good and I am quite pleased with AT&T.

4. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

Dayton coverage

I also have good coverage in the Dayton Ohio area.
    :D
    With the included GPS I think it would be cool if you could track where you were when you had a dropped call then send a report to AT&T so they would know where to improve signal strength.

5. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

Hilliard, Dublin, Worthington and Westerville areas of Cols. have solid 3g coverage. No issues. I only drop to EDGE occasionally when in my basement.

6. carrjar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for their quick replies. Feel free to keep the feedback coming.

7. junebug1 macrumors regular

Not that this affects the original poster as he asked about the Columbus area but for the thread as a whole 3G works tremendously in Youngstown and almost all the way up to downtown Cleveland although there are a few spotty areas as you drive down I-80.

8. GardnerMS macrumors newbie

3G coverage is pretty good...

I drop to EDGE on Reynoldsburg-New Albany road between New Albany and Gahanna...

And in my office (but signal strength on original iPhone was bad too)
    And in my house (in Blacklick) -- but I switch to Wifi there..

mG

9. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

According to AT&T's map it shows that most of Franklin County is covered by 3G. BTW I'm hoping to get an iPhone 3G soon as my Verizon contract ends in about a month! :cool:

10. carrjar thread starter macrumors member

Ohio Feedback

Thanks for including YTown and Cleveland. I have family/friends all over Ohio, so I like to know what it's like outside of Columbus.

11. carrjar thread starter macrumors member

Canton/Akron Ohio Area

Does anyone have experience with 3G iPhone in Canton/Akron area?

12. rust.puppet macrumors regular

i live in NE Ohio, ashtabula to be persise and we have NO 3g as of yet but its extending our way, mentor has 3g but its spotty along I-90

thats all i can vouch for right now. but soon we'll have decent 3G in the NE i believe with an exception of Rock Creek, if you even know where that is.

13. jazzy921 macrumors newbie

This thread is great because I too wondered about At&t with the 3G network here in Columbus.

...now if I can only get rid of this blasted Sidekick I'll come on over to At&t & the 3G iPhone.

14. Mankin5344 macrumors member

+1 for Youngstown that is were I live and the coverage is great.

Also canton's 3g coverage is excellent as I had to travel there on July 11 right after I bought my iphone, so I was looking at my signal strength every five minutes. Hope that helps.

15. asmac macrumors newbie

I live in Akron..so far the coverage is pretty decent..no complaints yet.

16. avediswolf macrumors regular

avediswolf

Drive up 23 into Delaware alot, and noticed today I had decent 3G in downtown Delaware.

Didn't pay much attention during the trip though.

17. carrjar thread starter macrumors member

My wife's family is in North Canton, so thanks for the extra info!

18. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

+1

19. carrjar thread starter macrumors member

South of Columbus

I know 3G coverage isn't too far outside of Franklin County...how is it acting on the South Side. Any other feedback. Thank!

20. carrjar thread starter macrumors member

The time is near

InCase announced their 3G Slider case yesterday...now I'm closer to upgrading. I'm just worried about "the battle between Edge and 3G" when trying to make a connection. Has anyone in Ohio had to fight low 3G reception and high EDGE messing up a call?

21. dueweke1697 macrumors newbie

dueweke1697

granville?

I'm moving to granville for school (DU) anyone know what kind of 3g coverage is there?

22. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Dublin and Muirfield area is good as well, unless I'm inside my fortress (home), then it drops to Edge. :cool: