Ohio law question (but still pertains to macs)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kmoll3ster, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Kmoll3ster macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm in high school and a teacher in my districts middle school has just bought herself a new MacBook (my school uses macs so it was probably partly funded by them) and she has an older MacBook which has been replaced with the new one. I was wondering if there is a law/code of ethics in ohio that would make it illegal for me to buy the older MacBook from her?
    I have not asked her if she would sell it to me, because I didn't want to seem stupid to ask her to break a law/code of ethics.
    Thanks!

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I believe, as long as the sale is okayed by your parents, and made off school grounds. You'd both be okay.

I bought my first car from the nuns at my school, so I'm guessing it'd be cool to buy your teacher's old laptop.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It would, of course, depend on whether the old laptop technically belonged to her or to the school. I know nothing about Ohio's laws or how that school or school district handles that, but that would be one of the important things to figure out.

jW

4. applepearpp macrumors regular

it can get complicated depending on how she get the macbook. if she bought it with her own money at full then it's her own. but if the machine is partially funded by a state program or apple-collaboration, it might post a problem because technically the teacher will be taking advantage on other's money. even if that's the case, if you both shut your mouth it should be fine.

just clear it before you buy it from her.

5. applepearpp macrumors regular

6. TheStork macrumors regular

TheStork

My wife just retired from teaching in Ohio. I showed her this thread. Her comment was
    So, go for it. One of my daughters is a teacher, too, and still uses her educational discount iBook G4 for surfing, email, etc., but her school "lends" her a Windoze laptop for school work. However, her iBook is dated and will probably lose support when Apple drops support for Leopard 10.5.