iPad ohs geting the ipad Air at AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snow755, Oct 29, 2013.

1. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

am planing on geting the ipad Air at AT&T so that way i can have 4G data planing on singing up for that new AT&T next i will mainy be uesing the ipad Air for wfi olny but haveing 4G data will be so nic for on the go

2. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

AT&T next actually ISN'T a rip off with tablets. And it allows you to upgrade every year! I think that's what I'm gonna end up doing actually.

3. snow755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

snow755

and with the ipad AIR comeing out this friday its a good time too do it

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Great news; your ipad will have spell check.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yep. I've been calculating the effective "trade-in value" and even that isn't particularly awful for the iPads. Wish Verizon offered a similar plan for their tablets. Alas, Verizon Edge is phone only for now.

6. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

I agree. I believe I will go this route as well.

7. twowinns macrumors member

I'm doing this, too. Even if you don't upgrade after one year, its nice to be able to make interest-free installment payments, rather than paying for it all up front.

8. jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

definitely looking forward to using the Next service. Every year I keep telling myself that I will wait and I never buy one. The iPad Air has definitely convinced me otherwise this time. This is the one to buy and thank goodness for Att for having this service. Good luck all...hope nobody has to wait for one.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yes, it comes with spell check. And maybe Siri can help you compose an understandable post.

10. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Still haven't decided if I will get an iPad Air but I might look into their Next service.

I bought a discounted iPad 4 from AT&T last year. Signed a 2 year contract so I received $100. off. That brought the price of my 32GB version down to $629. I called AT&T tonight to see what the scoop is if I want to sell it and get the new iPad Air. The person I spoke to said that the iPad is locked and wouldn't be able to be used on another network outside of AT&T unless I pay a $106. fee. Don't know where the additional $6. came from and I thought it would be prorated so I figured I'd only pay $50. because I've had it for a year. I won't have to pay this fee if I sell it to someone that will be using it on the AT&T network.

11. Macalway macrumors 68000

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

That CSR is full of crap. Just pull the sim out and put it into your new ipad, then the old ipad can be used by anyone on any plan. I just sold my contracted mini to a guy who is now using it on tmobile.

13. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I just looked this up on AT&T's site. Based on what I read, it says -

0 Down
    Starting at $31.50/mo*
    for 20 months

That comes out to $630.00 so that amount would be for the 16GB version (AT&T). I'd be getting the 32GB version so that would be $36.50 per month based on 20 months. Now with this they say you are eligible for an upgrade in one year. So would you pay the $36.50 per month for 12 months then if you want to get the next iPad when it's released around this time next year, just turn this one into them and get that one and start over? It's kind of like renting it.

If the number that I listed are correct, for me it would cost $438.00 over 12 months. So that would be like selling the 32GB version (WiFi/Cellular) for $292.00 after one year.

Benefits -

You know what your getting price wise
    No up front cost
    Interest free payments
    Don't have to try to sell it after a year
    You can get a new one after a year

Drawbacks -

If you buy one outright, you can probably sell it for more but those benefits might make up for the extra you'd make.

What do you think?

----------

So they would just need to get a sim from the carrier that they sign up with or, they can just use it on WiFi?

I've considered giving the 4 to my kids to use (WiFi only).

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

*IF* you don't mind being locked into data contract, the AT&T NEXT on iPad is not so bad because you can pay over 20 months the iPad even if you don't want to upgrade.

If you can make the iPad last you at least twenty months, why not pay interest free?

The only downside is that you have to maintain service all that time, or else pay the remaining balance on the iPad.

Honestly, I didn't know about this deal, and I might do it because 20 months zero interest is pretty nice.

15. iMas70, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I have a 5GB plan for my iPad. I use it away from home so I don't mind having that.

I've got used to upgrading my phone every 2 years but I kind of like doing it every year depending on how much of an upgrade it actually is. The reason that I'd think about doing this is I might want to get a new one next year so I'm wondering if it's a benefit if I only keep it for 12 months.

So if I'm reading the below correctly, I would just turn on the iPad Air after 12 months and owe nothing else when I get the next one -

With AT&T Next, after 12 payments, you're eligible to trade in your device with an updated 20-month contract and new monthly payments. Additional fees and taxes may apply. And with AT&T Next, if you keep the same device for the entire 20-month term, no additional installment payments are required.

*Qualifying credit and wireless service plan plus 20-month 0% APR installment agreement required. Tax due at sale. If you cancel wireless service, remaining device balance is due. Qualifying devices only. Limit 2 financed devices per wireless account. New device after 1 year requires minimum 12 installment payments plus qualifying trade-in of current device and qualifying wireless service plan. Additional restrictions apply.

16. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I'm on a mobile share plan right now, if i buy the iPad air with next, I would pay 31.50 for 20 months plus 10 dollars for that iPad to be on my mobile share? Is there some way for me not to pay that 10 bucks because my share plan allow me to tether, and I plan to use the iPad mostly on wifi so I wouldn't really need data access. Btw, would AT&T have the iPad in stock launch day? Would they have enough stock?

17. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I've read that stock will be very good on release day.

18. rui no onna, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

$150 ETF minus $4 per month of completed service.

While the iPad is probably already unlocked, you'd still need to pay ETF since you're effectively discontinuing service on that line if you replace it with an AT&T Next contract. Either that or just add another iPad line.

@romeo0119
    Apple Store does have 0% financing offers. Why not look into those? There's no sense paying an extra $130 for the iPad and $10/month for the plan if you don't need it. Alternately, if you'd like to have the cellular support just in case, T-Mobile offers 0% EIP even with the 200MB Free Starter + On Demand Data plan.

19. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I've been researching the Next program tonight. From what I've found, it might not be a good deal if your buying an iPhone because the cost ends up being a lot more than if you bought a phone at the subsidized every 2 years. But for the iPad, those aren't subsidized. Well, AT&T does offer $100.00 off if you sign up for a 2 year contract. See my post a few posts back. So this might be an "ok" deal if you want to upgrade every year.

Some info that I found. Mostly has to do with phones but it's explained pretty good -

AT&T unveiled its new Next plan today, which allows you to pay a small monthly fee for the privilege of upgrading your phone every year without a down payment. It's an obvious response to T-Mobile's Jump plan, which costs $10 a month and allows for an upgrade every six months. Both plans sound like a great idea: you'll get a new phone much faster than before, without having to pay full price up front or resigning your contract every time.

The big differences with AT&T's Next plan are that it costs anywhere from $15 to $50 a month depending on which phone you buy, and also that it's an absolutely clear ripoff designed to cheat customers into paying full price for their phone without actually buying anything.

Let's do the math: AT&T says that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will have a monthly installment fee of $32, on top of your existing AT&T service fees, which already include a device subsidy. The exact amount of that subsidy is unknown — AT&T declined to comment when I asked — but most industry estimates have put it at something like $20 per month. That's how you can get a GS4 for $199 with a new two-year contract, even though it costs $620 at retail: after two years, AT&T will have collected $680 in total device payments from you, and you get to keep the phone.

But the balance tips entirely towards AT&T with Next. Assuming that same $20 subsidy, after 12 months of Next you will have paid AT&T $384 in Next monthly installments and $240 in device subsidies, for a grand total of $620. Again, that's exactly the full retail cost of an unlocked Galaxy S4 — but you don't get to keep that phone, even though you just paid full price for it. You have to trade it in to get a new phone — effectively giving AT&T a free GS4 to refurbish and resell to its next unwitting customer.

Now, you do get to keep your Next phone if you pay 20 monthly installments, which will cost you a whopping $1,040 if you assume a $20 subsidy: $640 in Next payments, plus $400 in subsidies built into your AT&T plan. That's $420 in pure profit for AT&T, which just made you pay full price for a phone while charging you inflated service prices that include a subsidy specifically designed to lower the upfront cost of that phone.

AT&T'S REACTION TO T-MOBILE'S TRANSPARENCY IS TO BE MORE DECEPTIVE THAN EVER

There simply isn't a scenario in which paying for Next is better than just buying an unlocked phone at retail — AT&T is fundamentally taking advantage of consumers trained to think new phones are a magical gift bestowed on them by greedy, controlling wireless carriers. And as a response to T-Mobile's Jump plans, it's as cynical as it gets: Jump may not be the best deal, but at least T-Mobile CEO John Legere is outspoken in his desire to transparently decouple the cost of wireless service from the cost of phones themselves. AT&T's reaction is apparently to be more deceptive than ever.

Next.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The AT&T Next program is an awful deal for any smartphone since part of the $30 line access fee for smartphones is already because of device subsidy. It would only make sense if AT&T also drops the monthly line access for the phone to $10-15. If you've already forgotten, additional lines used to cost just an extra $10 per line on the old plans. The "$30" forced data that the iPhone made popular is really mostly just the device subsidy.

In essence, with AT&T Next and smartphones, you're paying for both the device subsidy plus a monthly installment for the cost of the device so you're getting dinged twice. Since tablets aren't usually subsidized and the $10 line access fee reflects that, getting those via AT&T Next actually makes sense.

21. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Well I was gonna go with tmobile but it would cost me $20 just to be their customer and pay the eip monthly, so AT&T is better to use if I want to do payment, I don't mine the 130 extra for cellular iPad since it will be useful if I travel out of the country. Apple is not really what i want to do because it's more like a credit card I have to apply, with AT&T, I already have an established account

22. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nope, the $20/mo data plan isn't required for T-Mobile. It says right on the FAQ on their website that as long as you've got good credit, you can avail of the 0% EIP with the 200MB Free Starter + On Demand Data Plan. This takes effect October 31, I believe.

I reckon the customer service reps either haven't received proper training yet or are not allowed to talk about future plan options so I would take whatever they say right now with a grain of salt.

23. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

I heard different, I guess I will see how tmobile does it. If not AT&T next is something I can fall back on

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yes. You would simply use your iPhone's hotspot feature to enable the connectivity for your iPad (or any other device).

25. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not gonna work for him. He needs to sign up for the $10/month data with 20-month AT&T Next if he wants to be able to finance the device via AT&T.