Oil Change and Tire Pressure Check

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garycurtis, Dec 23, 2011.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

The end of the year is always G4 tower maintenance time. The little quirks were starting to accumulate, and Applejack and Disc Warrior wouldn't fix them all.

So I performed an Archive Install with OS 10.5. Noticeable difference. A few of the zany annoyances were that holding the Option key down on startup wouldn't give me start disk choices. And my wireless mouse wouldn't work at times.

Along with those fixes, my airport connection is topped out 100% and things seem to work faster overall.

Happy holidays to all.

running 10.5.11 on a G4 with Sonnet Crescendo chip

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Done my year end maintenance on my powermac G5 dual core, blasting compressed air on the innards. Still looks like new inside. This thing is a beauty to behold.

No quirks whatsoever.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

My g4 is dusty, I should get around to cleaning it

4. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Without stripping it down to get into the power supply fans?

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Nope, I have a pretty good size of an air compressor. The ones that can power-up a small electro pneumatic assembly department.

My G5 is placed on top of the table but still dust can accumulate inside it. I am amazed that the air velocity flowing into the G5 is not that fast but still it can carry dust.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I had another Mac with a near-totally full hard disk, cleaning out 200GB of crap and then defragging make a noticeable different in loading stuff from the disk. I used iDefrag.