Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
So I just recently got a MacBook Pro and was wondering how people keep from getting grimy. Basically I want to know do you wash hands before use do you recommend some hand wipes?

Also can any cleaning products hurt the MBP? Like the trackpad or screen ( obviously I wont use clorox on the screen ).

Last edited:

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I clean mine using Kimtech delicate task wipers and isopropyl alcohol.

I also keep a buffer bulb on my desk or in my bag.

cloroxbleach4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I make sure my hands are somewhat clean before I use my laptop. But I typically clean everything once a week because there are some occasions where I forget.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
are the Kimtech delicate task wipers for hands or for the laptop? and what is a buffer bulb?

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
i clean my keys with alcohol at least once a month

i saw that the palm rest and mouse pad on my 17" Macbook Pro got the most dirty the fastest. for that i use a product that sticks to the palm rests and mouse pad, and its worked great so far. its well-made, very durable, somewhat reusable, and sticks really well.....its made by Moshi (http://www.moshimonde.com/productDetail.aspx?group=2). Amazon also sells the product....good stuff.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
are the Kimtech delicate task wipers for hands or for the laptop? and what is a buffer bulb?

The laptop.

A buffer bulb is like the Giottos Rocket Air blowers. Except mine came from the pharmacy section of wal-mart. It's the little bulb thing you use to get boogers out of baby noses and stuff.

Last edited:

lgfaver

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
im also interested in this topic. i just got my 15inch MBP and i'd like to know if can use water and a soft towel to clean the body. And... can i use windex on the screen?
obviously, im trying to save some money lol

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
im also interested in this topic. i just got my 15inch MBP and i'd like to know if can use water and a soft towel to clean the body. And... can i use windex on the screen?
obviously, im trying to save some money lol

don't use Windex!!:)

water works fine. i just get a piece of paper towel/soft towel wet, ring it out, and clean the screen with that. don't get too much water on the screen cause it will start to run into the wrong places. i keep a dry piece of paper towel/soft towel handy and dry as i'm cleaning.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
paper towels can mess up your screen so it's best to use a soft cloth. i use a dampened microfiber for the screen and keys (carefully brush over the keys) and a dampened paper towel for the aluminum. i wash my hands before i touch my mbp usually, i have had it for over five months and it looks brand new with these methods.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
The MBP's come with a soft cleaning cloth. I'd use that to clean the glass instead of a paper towel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.