Oil on power button

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I think I'm being too paranoid but after I ate something oily, I accidentally pressed the power button of my iPad. I know I might be overreacting but is it possible for the oil to damage my iPad. I wiped it away as soon as I could.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Too paranoid indeed :D
I do understand it though, it's a hefty investment. But the button is aluminium and you'll have to smeer a hoge amount of oil before it soaks into the iPad and does damage. Certainly if you wiped it of immediately.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Too paranoid indeed :D
I do understand it though, it's a hefty investment. But the button is aluminium and you'll have to smeer a hoge amount of oil before it soaks into the iPad and does damage. Certainly if you wiped it of immediately.
Thanks for the reply!

Wackery

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2015
The iPad some level of insulation from the outside world, so I wouldn't worry too much

camhabib

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
It's possible for damage to occur, but it would have to be a lot of oil and it would have to sit there for a minute to make it's way in through the power button. If you're really worries, you could try taking an alcohol swab and gently cleaning the area - should remove any oil residue there. Wouldn't worry too much about it though, if it's still working right now it's unlikely anything will happen in the future.