Oil on power button

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aditya_S, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I think I'm being too paranoid but after I ate something oily, I accidentally pressed the power button of my iPad. I know I might be overreacting but is it possible for the oil to damage my iPad. I wiped it away as soon as I could.

2. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Too paranoid indeed :D
    I do understand it though, it's a hefty investment. But the button is aluminium and you'll have to smeer a hoge amount of oil before it soaks into the iPad and does damage. Certainly if you wiped it of immediately.

3. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply!

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You need to make a general rule and take great care while using your Apple devices while eating. To many accidents reported in these forums.

5. Wackery macrumors 6502a

The iPad some level of insulation from the outside world, so I wouldn't worry too much

6. camhabib macrumors regular

It's possible for damage to occur, but it would have to be a lot of oil and it would have to sit there for a minute to make it's way in through the power button. If you're really worries, you could try taking an alcohol swab and gently cleaning the area - should remove any oil residue there. Wouldn't worry too much about it though, if it's still working right now it's unlikely anything will happen in the future.