Oil Spill in SF Bay

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Nov 9, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I guess its bye-bye Carbon Offset.

Its really too bad because thats one of the nicest places in California. :(

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Lots of finger-pointing going on regarding the lack of disclosure and slow reaction time. The beaches are a mess here.

The last big triathlon of the season here in the Bay Area is this weekend on Treasure Island. It's now a duathlon...glad I wasn't signed up, but I have lots of friends who are awfully disappointed.

Still no real information on how it happened. There was heavy fog, but that's not unusual, and these ships all have radar and GPS. The bay pilot has over 25 years experience, although he's had some mishaps in the past. None as big as this one though. :(

3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I took the ferry from Alameda to SF yesterday for a job interview. The globs of oil on the bay were downright disgusting. :mad:

4. Pani macrumors member

Pani

Wow! I am really sorry to hear that! SF is one of my favorite cities! I went college in the Bay Area and when I remember the fog rolling in, it still gets to me. Just something mystical about the place. It is ashame this had to happen!

5. gonyr macrumors 6502

Anyone ever read "Ill Wind" by Kevin Anderson and Douglas Beason? It's a pretty decent scifi novel that starts off with this exact scenario.