ois example?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McDLT, Sep 10, 2014.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

truthfully, how much difference will the ois make to image quality? the camera is probably what i use my phone for most. i think the 4.7 makes a lot more sense for me to carry around, but if the ois makes the camera significantly better, i will go for the plus.

can anyone provide examples or at least opinions based on personal experience?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I heard from the hands-on, it appears be to (somewhat noticeably) better. But I would wait until next week, when reviewers compare the two iPhones and provide examples. OIS is better - but how much better will be nice to know.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The lens uses the gyroscope to keep a steady focus on the subject.

It's useful if you have a shaky hand or you're taking a photo while moving.

The camera alone wouldn't make me want the Plus if I was dead set on the 4.7".

4. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I was wondering the same thing. Look on youtube for examples. It's very noticeable in video and I can assume the number of blurry stills taken by your phone will reduce. I'd go 4.7 as I'm nervous about 5.5 but that OIS is pretty big for the iPhone being my primary camera.

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

It won't have better image quality than the non OIS version. They will have the same image quality because they are using all the same sensors and electronics. But, in lower light particularly, it will make up for any camera shake. I don't know what the difference is or where it will be more felt in phone cameras, but in big DSLR's it's a factor of focal length and shutter speed. The longer the focal length and the slower the shutter speed, the more OIS helps. The iPhone lens is pretty wide angle, so the bigger factor will be the shutter speed in my opinion.

6. Menel Suspended

Menel

Yes, it can have higher quality.

It can use a stop or two, maybe 3, slower shutter speed in lower light, meaning higher quality photos.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

You are right. If the software does that...

8. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I've seen a video of an OIS example for taking video. They used two phones one with OIS and one without and mounted them on a remote control toy car. The car drove around the room which has bumps. When you viewed the video taken by these two phones while mounted on the car, you can clearly see the phone with OIS has a much smoother video than the one without. The video I saw was over a year ago and it featured a Nokia phone with OIS and some other phone without. I think the one without was a Samsung.

9. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

The camera itself is already a huge improvement. SonyAlphaRumors (sony camera rumors site) mentioned a while ago that the new iPhone would be using their new curved sensor technology which allows for much simpler lens design and fixes the problem of light fall-off at the corners. Some benchmarks that leaked had this sensor beating the $3k Canon 5DmkIII in some aspects.

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Im interested as well. Im pissed OIS isnt on the 4.7. Many reviews have my note 3 as having one of the best cameras, but the blurry pics i take indoor suck.

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Any chance you have a link to this vid?

I'm incredibly pissed as well.

12. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Or while taking a picture in low light, as the shutter has to stay open longer to allow more light in, thus the picture is more prone to blurring/fuzziness

13. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

14. McDLT thread starter macrumors regular

thanks triplejoe. now i'm annoyed they only put it in the giant phone.

15. Abracastabya macrumors newbie

16. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Apples digital stabilisation is much better than that Nokia video above.

Either way, both new iPhones feature Apples new cinematic stabilisation for video which looks really good.

OIS will make the most difference for low light stills.

18. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I'm sure OIS technology on phones has improved over the past 2 years since this video was made. I would be interested if can point me to a comparison of Apple's OIS and Nokia's.

19. dajazz macrumors member

Link?