OIS: Photos only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emilioestevez, Oct 26, 2015.

1. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Does OIS not have an effect on capturing videos? Only photos (in low light)? I'm confused.

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

It's photos only on the 6 Plus. It works for photos and video (and time lapses and slow-mo) on the 6S Plus.

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Some people say that OIS for videos on the 6s Plus works only when shooting 30fps.

4. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I've tested a 6s vs 6s+ at 60FPS. The optical still works in 60FPS mode. However, the effect is a little less noticeable. More frames show more shake. If you play back a 240 FPS at full speed, you'll see even the most minor shaking under normal circumstances become exaggerated. While the 60FPS isn't extreme, it does show more shake than 30FPS, and while the 6S+ OIS is fantastic, the OIS isn't completely flawless and the higher frames pick up those flaws moreso than the 30 fps.

5. that be me macrumors 6502

Someone mentioned that OIS doesn't kick in for 4k video. Not sure if this was confirmed.

6. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I work with video production and I can tell you with 100% certainty that 4K has OIS on the 6S+

Also, my girlfriend has the 6S and I've compared this a lot.

7. emilioestevez thread starter Suspended

emilioestevez

So, how much better is the Plus' OIS than the DIS on the non Plus?

8. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

It's pretty dramatic

9. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

It especially makes a difference in low light. Having actual hardware correct shake means that more light can reach the pixels, whereas with DIS, it's just cropping frames, so it doesn't affect the amount of light in your photos.

10. tristanpope macrumors newbie

tristanpope

I would love to know what tests you ran. I make iPhone films for a living and have been questioning the OIS being as useful as it says in the Plus vs the regular. Mostly because I like having the smaller phone. Mind you I own both but sometimes I want to have the better one in my pocket and I am yet to figure out which one that is.

11. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

It would be nice if you could do some videos for us to compare. Its always better to have pros do it than hobbyists :) It would be greatly appreciated

12. tristanpope macrumors newbie

tristanpope

Yeah I most likely will do this soon. It is driving me nuts not to have more than one video out there and that boat video is just not decisive enough.

I wanna see it in every resolution possible and with someone who doesn't have parkinson's :p

13. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I think this video is a pretty good demonstration of the benefit of OIS for video:

Granted, I don't think the difference is quite this pronounced when shooting in 1080p because the 6S has many more available pixels to crop for digital stabilization. But, if you're going to be shooting in 4k, the difference between the two phones is night and day.

14. tristanpope macrumors newbie

tristanpope

Yeah this video is crap to me. If you shoot in 4K the chance you are going to hand hold is abysmal. Plus I don't trust it. :) I wanna do it myself. I also do wanna see the 1080p difference.