OK...a record breaking battery life on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Nanasaki, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

For some reason, all my iPad gets ground breaking battery life as iPhone 4S battery life sinks (less than 5 hours).

For the past 3 days, I have been using my iPad 3 constantly. Not just web browsing. Because I am trying to catching up few anime, I am constantly streaming anime online. I am seriously impressed by the battery, it seems it will never die.

[​IMG]

17 hours if battery life, 7 hours longer than Apple's claim. And this is one and half year old device...

Not sure the software counted the time wrong or something, but the battery life is impressive at least on iPad.

That leads me to a question: iOS 7 seems not so optimized for iPad and optimized for iPhone. But iPad gets better than ever battery life, yet iPhone battery sucks ball. Why would that happen?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

In regards to your questions, my iPhone 5 has better battery life on iOS 7 than it did on iOS 6.

3. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Because the iPad has a bigger battery, obviously. And the fact that you're not 24/7 connected to a carrier.

iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 is absolutely terrible on battery life, I get 5-6 hours when on iOS 6 I got nearly 9. They should optimize that.

4. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'm actually quite impressed by the 5s's battery life. On Standby, that thing will last days....

iPads have always had great battery life. I'll leave my mini sitting for a week and it'll barely drop. Usually I can get about 7-8 hours of use in a 7-8 day span (the 7-8 days being standby time).

If I use it more, obviously the standby time decreases.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Your screenshot cuts off at the part where it shows if the iPad has been plugged in or not since the last full charge.

7. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

If its plugged in it wont show both the timings

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Yes it will, just below them it will say "iPhone has been plugged in since last charge".

9. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

Oh i see! Cause usually i only see that message but a "-" on both usage and standby. My bad

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

That is if you reboot the phone

11. viperGTS macrumors 65816

That happens with hard resets and crashes that force the OS to reboot. No worries. :)
    A normal reset where the users turns off and back on the device will not cause the message to display. Only a hard reset or crash of the OS/SpringBoard. Try it out for yourself.

12. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Listening to music while screen is off also can give huge usage. Normal usage wont give you 17hours or more.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

One of these days I want to set my phone to Airplane mode, turn off volume, start a song to play on infinite loop, and lock the screen.

I figure I could probably get a usage time of a few days on an iPhone... a week or so on an iPad.

People put far too much stock into the (relatively useless and meaningless) battery life usage reports. There are far too many variables that aren't listed that can drastically change the numbers.

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yes I meant a hard reset, home+power. That is the only way I reboot the phone

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Not too unusual. I've broken 20 hours occasionally as well.

I always get way in excess of what Apple rates their devices.

First two I saw in my photostream. Good god is it that folder a huge disaster on my PC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. defunct32 macrumors regular

Absolutely off topic but what Anime are you watching?

17. Nanasaki, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

Nanasaki thread starter macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

I am watching Danganronpa The Animation, Servant X Service, Kimi no Iro Machi and rewatching Pandora Hearts

18. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

I had amazing battery life before the 7.0.2 update... Now I have around 4 hours of screen on time... I have tried fresh installs twice already... God knows what's the problem.... Background app refresh is off and location services are at a minimal... But still... :(

19. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

After disabling background app refresh and all unnecessary location services, I’m getting about 30-45 minutes better battery life with 7 than I did 6. With everything activated about 3 hours less.

Forgot to mention: iPhone 5.