Ok, App Store needs a way to filter out "Lite".

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Manatee, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

It's great that the app developers have realized they can make a "trial" version of their apps available by making a separate "Lite" version available, but when I go to the App Store to look at apps, I don't want to see it crowded with regular versions and Lite versions.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Wow, people really will complain about everything. :rolleyes:

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i think its GREAT to not filter them out.. i think it WOULD be better if they put the lite side by side with its full version.. that way you would know if a lite actually exists.. but i wouldnt want them filtered out.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ +1

I agree with you 100%, I'm currently trying out Mocha VNC Lite before I jump ship to the real version. And stop complaining, you're complaining about this, taking into consideration that many ppl don't even have iPhones, myself included? Quit whining sheesh.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

I think it would be nice to offer additional configurable filtering options for applications. The ability to hide (filter out) "lite" versions or "demo" versions of an application might be very handy if the free applications list starts to become littered with these types of applications.

More filtering options aren't a bad idea just because you don't like the idea. :D

6. Sinsinnati macrumors regular

Sinsinnati

I didn't think he was complaining but you are complaining about his comment so, "Quit whining sheesh."

7. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i didnt say it was a bad idea.. i just gave my opinion.. people on here always put words in my mouth.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

The ideal solution would probably be to just have one product page where both the regular and Lite versions are available.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple already does that for movies with the "Rent" and "Buy" buttons. They could do a similar thing for apps. That's a darn good idea that solves both problems. You should submit that to Apple.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I think this is a very bad idea.

Instead of filtering them out they should be linked together so anytime you see the full version you also see the light version.

11. MacMuttonchops macrumors member

MacMuttonchops

Add this excellent idea to the long laundry list I've seen formulated around here. Apparently the consensus at Apple thinks at least the ratings system is flawless (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541108). Can't imagine what they'd say if you asked them to make things more organized...

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

I would take the response from "Steve" with a grain of salt. I think as time goes on Apple will tweak things like reviews and providing demos, etc. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the App Store has only been open one month.

13. Pooshka macrumors 65816

How about other sorting options besides alphabetical?

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

That wouldn't work since it's only a tiny amount of apps that have demo versions. Only if all apps had demos could you only show demos on a project page. I for one want to see all free apps, demo or not, so I can see what free games are there to play.

15. MacMuttonchops macrumors member

MacMuttonchops

It worked when iTunes Plus was a separate service. You had both the regular $.99 FairPlay tracks and then the DRM-free $1.29 tracks on the same page and you could switch back and forth.