All iPads Ok Apple fiends, be honest. Brutally honest.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcdj, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Retina Mini is the iPad a LOT of people have been waiting for. And now it's here. Kind of. Some time this month. Hopefully. If you can score one.

But in less than an hour, you can DEFINITELY secure an Air. And let's face it, in terms of WOW factor, in terms of making your friends and cubicle mates drool, in terms of that feeling you can only get from a sleek, new, completely redesigned Apple product, the Air has it in spades over the Retina Mini.

Now, I'm speaking to you, current owners of a Mini. You know who you are. Maybe you've already sold your Mini in preparation for the new lineup.

You know there's a 99% chance that you'll end up with the Retina Mini no matter what. You know it's a smidge fatter and heavier than your current Mini. You know it's gonna be tough to get and it might take a while. You know that when you get it, it's not gonna give you that "WOW, THIS CAME FROM THE FUTURE!" feeling like it did last year. And you know that it probably won't give you that fleeting but sweet launch day buzz.

Not like the Air would...

So which of you current psycho rabid Mini owners have their credit card at the ready, tonight, to buy an Air, just to get your yearly fix of iPad drool, knowing full well you'll probably just return it when the Retina Mini drops? How many of you have already sold your Mini, are buying an Air tonight, and are willing to risk having to go iPadless in the event that the Retina Mini doesn't hit the shelves until AFTER the 14 day return period for the Air? How many would actually buy an Air, return it, then buy another one if that happens?

Just how big of an Apple fiend are you? Be honest.

2. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

3. AdonisSMU, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was a mini guy until the ipad lost weight. Then i became a big guy.

4. guzzlamiamor macrumors member

I am a mini owner who is ready to go tonight. I really want the extra screen space, and I use it mostly at home anyway so portability is not an issue. I will keep the mini and if anything I would sell it to upgrade to the retina version instead of returning the air. My first and only full sized iPad was the 1st version which I really didn't like because at the time the web experience on it kind of sucked. I am ready to give it another spin now that it is thin, light, and blazing fast.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Mini or Air. It's a tough decision, really.

[​IMG]

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The only thing I liked about the mini was its portability. That's it. The screen size was smaller than I liked for videos, surfing the web, reading books, etc. All of that was so much better on my iPad. But the one BIG problem was that my iPad was just too unwieldy. Big and bulky. And heavy. The Air seems to have solved all those problems. Seems like the iPad I always wanted (sans Touch ID, which I now know I also want in my future devices).

7. bobright macrumors 601

Air all the way unless you're a kid or girl with small hands I'd say get a mini instead.

8. susa macrumors regular

Well yes you are probably correct op. Except that I just haven't had the heart to sell my mini yet. Can't do without it even for a short time.

9. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I got the original Mini mainly on price. I'm getting the Air now because I realized that I want a bigger size.

10. jpw16 macrumors member

jpw16

Same here.

11. OCJeff macrumors regular

I would concur. I've never had a a mini until this week (refurb 16gb wifi for $250 from Apple) and I knew I could not stand the resolution (reason I didn't buy the mini to start with) but after actually using it for a week and comparing it to my ipad (3rd gen retina) there was no way I could see going to a smaller screen.

I really wanted to move to mini retina, but with the $70 price hike and the ipad size/weight reduction, I'm just going to go with the larger screen only because of the usability issues I had with the mini for simple web/email tasks.

Of course I love the ipad 4 retina 128gb wifi upgrade for just $499! Refurb from Walmart (using it to type this) $300 savings which for my 4 yr old is perfect (all the movies I could possibly store)!

12. Jnava420 macrumors regular

I bought my girlfriend the mini last year more for me then her, just so I could get the new apple toy and get a fix (I also got myself the 4 but coming from the 3 it wasn't that big of deal) I'll be going to get the air for myself today and will be getting her the retina mini whenever I can, I've been doing this for awhile like I'm sure a lot of you have, I'm normally 1st in line at my local best buy the mini supply rumors doesn't really scare me as long as my best buy gets 1

13. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I was tempted by an Air, but I'm still on the side of the Mini. The Air is just too big. I prefer one handed tablets.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Same here. :rolleyes:

15. LAK3RS macrumors newbie

I'm at a crossroads in reagards to which iPad I want to go with. Obviously either the Air or the Mini, but I guess I need to hit up either Best Buy or the Apple Store to play around with them to see which one would better fit me.

I mainly use my current 3rd Gen 32GB LTE for school work like reading books, and surfing the web - the mini is just so damn comfortable in your hands though, but the Air screen real estate is really nice to have.

16. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Ideally you'll all rush out and get an air - and leave more inventory of retina mini's for me to choose from in a couple of weeks :)

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Fat chance. J/k

18. TheSwede macrumors regular

19. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

A tablet you cant hold continuously with one hand is just a smller laptop. I already have a larger laptop. Retina mini all the way. This is only reason apple is trying to sell Airs first by staggering the release. It gets the early adopters sold.

20. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Not me. I was already set to go to the bigger screen. The mini I may get too but 75% of the time I would appreciate the additional real estate of the air.

21. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I can proudly say that Im not a new owner of the iPad Air. :p
    I was just down at my local premium reseller and gave it a quick feel, and sure, its slightly smaller, and lighter, and somewhat thinner, but it still feels too large for my taste, Im sticking by the mini retina, even despite the as of yet undisclosed release date.

22. Bala0509 macrumors newbie

Bala0509

I am a girl. Don't have big hands but Air all the way. LOl and at 3:01am EST, I had concluded my transaction and now I keep checking the phone for my "come and get it message", even though i don't expect it before noon. :D

I struggled with this decision for a couple of weeks. But the other day on my commute home, it became crystal clear. You see, the dude on the train next to me had his big ass Samsung phone and his tablet. I did a double take because i wasn't sure why he would carry 2. OMG they were practically the same size. Not saying Apple will go as huge with the screen size increase but it just wasn't a good look. lol:D

----------

word is the target let the cat out of the bad citing a Nov 21 date .

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Some things just feel better when they are 10" instead of 8". :D

24. THFourteen macrumors 6502

If there was no Mini + Retina, i would be all over the Air like a rash. Its the iPad i always wanted.

Unfortunately having had a mini for a year, the size of it really makes a massive difference to me. I can use it on a train or tube holding it in one hand when i'm standing up. I can put it into my coat and jacket pockets when i am going to the pub or football or just out shopping without having to take a bag just to have an ipad in it.

If i only ever used it at home, the Air would be a no brainer.

I keep trying to convince myself that the Air would be fine because i can get one today, but i know if both were out today, i'd go for the mini

25. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Think apple going to time the retina shipping date to be a few days after the release of the air to slow down returns of the air for the mini. Just a guess