OK Apple- you win. Here is a webapp for the iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Oct 7, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Apple bans native apps on your iPhone. They will use their firmware updates like a virus, to zap the apps out of your phone, or even worse, maybe brick your phone.

They claim that web apps are all we need.

So Apple, your wish has been answered. Someone came up with a great web app for the iPhone:

Point your phone to
    http://www.SeeqPod.com

It is the world's largest index of playable internet music.
    So you can look up your favorite artist and stream their music to your iPhone for free. No more iTunes needed. No more iPod needed for that matter, as long you can use safari with EDGE/WiFi.

Have fun!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Better than an iPhone-ised Radioblogclub! This is awesome...

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

streaming songs from there over EDGE is not exactly full proof. I often get significant lag...it's a great site, but hardly a realistic replacement.

hmm now we have the real conspiracy theory:

Apple ditched 3G for the iPhone so the seeqpod experience would be degraded and would therefore prop up Itunes sales.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

What I think's really cool about that site is that it was one of the first ones that came out after the iPhone was launched a few months ago... :)

5. RAZZo macrumors newbie

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

you could at least post a link to the iPhone formatted version of SeeqPod.
    http://www.seeqpod.com/iphone/

Why are you making such a big deal out of this anyway! Lifting this story straight off 9to5 is great!

7. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

this has been out for a couple of months though not that new. Its great on wifi but not edge.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Isn't it obvious?

He's making a deliberate play to hurt Apple's wallet by directing traffic to a web site that can offer an alternative to buying music from iTunes.

10. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Actually, www.seeqpod.com is all you need.
    The site automatically directs you to the iPhone formatted site.
    If you want to bother typing in the extra letters in the address, feel free. But it is not needed.

11. donlphi macrumors 6502

donlphi

This is soooooooooooo old. 9to5 mac. Nobody ripped this off from anybody. 9to5 mac just ran out of ideas.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Belated note, for the record: We removed this thread on October 7 because it linked to a site reportedly used for obtaining unlicensed music. However, after discussion among the moderators and administrators, we decided that the website in question is not by itself illegal, and we observed that it had been discussed in a number of other forum threads already, so we restored this thread on October 11. While we don't condone illegal use of copyrighted material, we will not block links to this site and we will allow discussion of the issues involved.

13. EricMD21 macrumors newbie

Known about this since iDay, but thanks anyway!

Great site

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Moderators should be able to note the difference between discussion and what the thread starter intended.

Poor editorial discretion.

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There was no mystery over what the thread was about. Under the policy in effect at the time, the thread was against forum rules and the moderators removed it. After the policy was changed to allow it, the thread was restored.

16. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Either there was some misunderstanding or you simply didn't explain the reason for the change properly...or didn't care to anyway.

This wasn't a post saying "hey this a cool thing check it out," it was a vindictive attempt to get people to bypass itunes so as to hurt apple in the pocketbook.

If that's the sort of discussion you wish to encourage, then have at it.

The purpose of my response was simply to note my disagreement. Not that I expect anyone to actually care.

17. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

Really cool app, but it still has a long way to go before it is on par with itunes.

I tried searching for fairly well known european artists and nothing came up. Also the video functionality is not fantastic, but still, it might improve as more people search on it.

Anyway thanks for the link OP.

18. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

this is a pretty cool site, trying now under edge full bars, works well if you wait like ten seconds before hitting play so that it downloads a bit

19. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Sobe-
    I started this thread and therefore only I know what the thread starter intended. Not you, not the moderator.

If you think that I have the interest or power to hurt Apple's pocketbook, you are quite deluded. I simply was sharing a webapp I found with the MacRumors community that I am thrilled to be a part of. This site is no secret as every computer-news and mac-blog site has reported on SEEQPOD.COM as well. And it was reported on Macrumors.com long before I mentioned it. Evidently the moderators, after a lengthy debate, decided to leave my post intact (and unban me, I might add.)

Are we all part of the same conspiracy?

20. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

By the way- to all detractors of the site (and I don't have a strong opinion either way), Youtube has just as many songs (and more videos) available for streaming for free, on iphone.

21. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Too funny.

Hey whatever you have to tell yourself to get you through the day.

22. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Are you actually serious?

23. infosprt macrumors regular

Seeqpod.com is a nice site. I go there often.

I have noticed though that after I listen to a few songs that Safari at times has a problem and I have to reboot my iPhone. The reboot is not a problem for me.

24. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Never heard of it before... interesting. Of course there's no way in hell it's legal, any more than napster or kazaa was... but until the inevitable shutdown worth a look.