OK, buying touch tonigth...what do I need to know? Apps, jailbreak etc..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalduck, May 14, 2008.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

Ok, first I want to say...I know, I know, I know....there are a lot of discussons about June and sept and to just wait and see...possible price drops, change in firware...maybe even hardware.. but I just sold my pda and need something to replace it.

I guess I have some questions that I am somewhat confused on..

1. The new Jan update wiht apps..if I buy now is it installed or do I still have to pay for it?

2. Ok, the big one..jailbreaking....which app is the best and most reliable?

3. OK..anoter big one...after June if they announce a new firmware or software etc..how will it affect my jailbreak? Wil I have to restore my touch (removign all the apps) then apply the update then wait till that comes out with a jailbreaking option?

4. Might as well ask this...I put a lot of movies on my pocekt pc so i would like to do something simliar wiht the touch...what would be a good program?

5. How does the apple store being opened affect the touch if its jailbreaked? Sorry im a newbie..

6. About basic functions like the photo app..that is somethign that comes on it?

7. Lastly....Ive heard that replacing the background wiht an image is a jailbreaked app option?

I think thats it..im going to pick up the 16gig...and hey if somehting new "does" come out..ill sell it..i think its worth it.

Thank You!

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

1. The new Jan update wiht apps..if I buy now is it installed or do I still have to pay for it?

99% chance its included

ZiPhone, but i have heard that 16gb models don't work as well...but i have no idea if thats true

3. OK..anoter big one...after June if they announce a new firmware or software etc..how will it affect my jailbreak? Wil I have to restore my touch (removign all the apps) then apply the update then wait till that comes out with a jailbreaking option?

Yes that is correct

4. Might as well ask this...I put a lot of movies on my pocekt pc so i would like to do something simliar wiht the touch...what would be a good program?

Do you mean like DVD movies? If you use Windows download Anydvd and clonedvd mobile, mac use handbrake

5. How does the apple store being opened affect the touch if its jailbreaked? Sorry im a newbie..

Not sure what your asking....if you need to take it in to a store just restore it and they will never know you jailbroke

6. About basic functions like the photo app..that is somethign that comes on it?

Yes a photo/slideshow viewer, somewhat similar to previous ipod models, no editing/cropping, just a viewer

7. Lastly....Ive heard that replacing the background wiht an image is a jailbreaked app option?

Yes you have to JB to do that

Hope I helped

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ok, so I know you know about the rumors and such, and feel you need this now, but if there's any way you can wait, the June upgrade isn't just a rumor, and will be significant (i.e., you won't need to jailbreak to get apps, among many other things).

That said, if you do really need it now, I'll answer these questions.

Unless you buy an older model from somewhere (in which case is should be discounted $20 or more, otherwise you're getting ripped off), it will have it on there.

I used ZiPhone, but don't use the new version yet. Find 2.6. You could also give Pwnage a try, but it's slightly riskier than the others, so make sure you read up on it and know exactly what you're doing before you start.

You will either have to restore and deal with not being jailbroken, or wait until the hacked version is available so you don't have to rejailbreak.

That's easy, just make sure they're Quicktime format, preferably MPEG4, and load them with iTunes. You can save to MPEG4 from a lot of formats with Quicktime Pro, or use MPEG Streamclip (free).

It won't directly, but you may run into problems if you try using official apps and jailbroken ones. No one knows yet because the store isn't available for testing.

Yes.

Yes. There are themes that replace app icons, backgrounds, and more, or you can simply replace the background itself and leave the rest alone.

jW

4. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Should come included
    I used ZiPhone, after restoring my iPod later I tried iLiberty and just had problems with my iPod freezing afterwards. Went back to ZiPhone and its perfect :)
    Restore if you want the app store,official apps and new firmware. You'll lose all your jailbroken stuff.
    I use:
    Tooble to download from YouTube to my Mac/iTunes.
    Handbrake to rip DVDs.
    Quicktime Pro to convert any video files I find on the internets into iPod friendly format.
    MXTube on my iPod Touch for direct downloading.
    iTunes Store = No Effect
    App Store = Won't work without restoring I'm guessing.
    Photo/SLideshow viewer
    Yep

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Responding to your third question:
    Yes you would have to restore it to put the new firmware on it and then re-jailbreak it, although you may not need to continue jailbreaking because of the Apps Store, since you will be able to get a ton of apps, many for free. However that would be your choice to continue jailbreaking it.

6. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

Nitromaster, Mal...tahnk you both for your replies..

Question..I notied the 16gig is like 60-70 dollars cheaper on newegg than best buy..however it dosent come wiht the jan update...but i can acquire taht through jailbreaking it right?

7. sgtboy macrumors 6502

8. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

9. digitalduck thread starter macrumors regular

OK big question..I was going to go to Best Buy and pick this up right now but I just saw that Newegg has the 16gig for 339.00 retail box. The only thing is it doesn't come with the software update but even if I JB it I cna get the update so why not get that then? Even with fed ex 2nd day its $354.00 Should I jump on this?

10. sgtboy macrumors 6502