Ok, can someone explain this to me...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rhett7660, Jul 30, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello All..

I have googled and googled the following.... Can someone please help me with the following questions or scenarios...

I understand the following:

720/p
    1080/p/i

Progress and interlaced

What is confusing me are the following:

24p, 30p, 60p... what are these and how do they work with each other if they do?

IE I shoot something at 1080p/24p and then I am also handed something that is shot in 1080i/XXp/1080p/XXp or 720p/XXp? How would you handle this?

I am seeing more and more of the 24p, 30p etc.... what do they actually mean when you are shooting and then editing them? Are they compatible with each other? Do I need to re-encode anything?

I have been reading on this for the past couple of hours and haven't found anything that really explains it out. I have read the one is more film like one is more for TV etc.. but nothing that tells me how they work together if they do..... Also, what if you shot in 1080p and it is going to be used on a tv that is 720p, what about downsizing? Will this impact the quality of the shot, does it matter if it is shot at 1080p/60i or 1080p/60p etc....

Thanks, I am just a little confused with it all....

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

the 24/30/60 refer to framerates. Generally for 24->30 one would need a pulldown correction, and 30->24 generally just adds appropriate frames. Where it reallty matters is what your output format it.

I could be wrong in the second sentence, but pretty positive on the first.

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

So is it fair to say that if I have something at 24p and then something that is 30p, can they go together seamlessly or do I need to do something to one or the other?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can only work with one frame rate at a time. If you have 24p footage, and 30p footage you have to decide if you are going to turn the 24p into 30p or the 30p into 24p. Typically whatever frame rate your final product is will determine what frame rate you should conform everything to.

Lethal

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Gotcha....

So they need to be the same across the board. Would there be any reason to mix them? Say speeding something up or slowing something down? Or would you use the settings in FCP/Premiere to do that?

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you shot at 60p w/the intention of slowing it down to 24p to get a slow-mo effect you'd use Cinema Tools to retime the footage from 60p to 24p.

Lethal

7. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you very much.......

Ok.. if you don't mind..... when working with "i" and "p" can you intermix those or would you need to convert one to the other?

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you plan to watch on a television, then convert p to i. In all other situations, go i to p.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Similar to frame rate it's better if you just pick one. FCP will let you mix and match different kinds of video in the same timeline but it's 'on the fly' conversions don't always look the best.

Lethal

10. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you all for your help.... I am just getting into this and I am noticing a lot of different scenarios that could crop up when doing video.

Thanks again!