Ok Considering getting a macbook, Just a few thoughts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doctor-Eggman, May 26, 2007.

1. Doctor-Eggman macrumors newbie

I am mainly needed a laptop for doing my creative work such as photoshop, video,music and animation so i figured Mac was the way to go.

I am mainly wondering about software. My friend has a copy of photoshop CS3, are there seperate versions for Mac and PC? or is it one disc for all. Is there a lot of software that works across the board or is there a lot that come on different discs for each format.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Most software comes as Mac only, or PC only. Very rarely both, and when they are both, that means the CD contains the two different programs.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Intel-basd Macs (all current models of Macs) can also run Windows, either in a dual-boot mode via Bootcamp (a free program from Apple) or via virtualization software, such as Parallels Desktop of VMWare Fusion (both commercial products). This allows you the added option of using Windows to run PC-only software that you may require. I would recommend, however, that you stick with Mac software where possible, since it works natively under OS X and does not require extra software; however, this is simply not always possible for some people or applications.

4. Doctor-Eggman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh I get ya, thanks for the help.
    Being Mac users I would assume you know your stuff. But from my list of intended uses A mac laptop is a good option rather than a pc? I am looking a laptop for work and creative stuff I have no need for games or anything.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, I would think that a Mac is a good option for you. I bought an iMac for my son when he went off to art school (SCAD) a few years ago and he loves it for everything he does, and his needs sound similar to yours. And if you have any Adobe PC software you can get them to transfer it to a Mac license for little or nothing. However, be aware CS3 is the first Intel-native version of Adobe. My son has a PPC-based iMac and CS2.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

When you think Creative you gotta associate it with a Mac :). A macbook would fit your needs perfectly. And if need be you can install Windows and then have the best of both worlds.

7. Doctor-Eggman thread starter macrumors newbie

So best of both worlds. Not having to worry about viruses and other things that have caused problems with my PC in the past...And I have got addicted to garageband. I guess my choice is clear.

Thanks for the help.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hmm ye sto a point, from what i understand you windows partition is still very easily iinfected..am not sure about this but thats is whta i was told you may wnat to check on that caus eyou may still nedd an antivirus, but yes a mac is the way to go for whta you need IMO

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Windows can still be infected with viruses when it's running. Apple hardware can't prevent Windows from getting crapped up.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

There is nothing about Mac hardware that prevents viruses. If you run Windows (shame!) you'll still be open to any viruses and stuff that may (usually) effect it.

11. Doctor-Eggman thread starter macrumors newbie

I would only Put windows on as a last resort if i really need it. I is just nice to have the option.

But it all sounds like good stuffs.