Ok -- Got new MBP 17" - Next Step

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmyers, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mmyers macrumors newbie

Ok, just got my new MBP 17". I am coming from an older MBP (2 years old). I just went through the setup and have several questions...

1. How do I use the Migration Assistant? I tried connecting the Ethernet cable between the two and that seems to work, but after it finishes (about 45 minutes) I do not see anything different. I open iTunes and my songs are not there. I open iPhoto and see no photos. All of my applications act like they are starting for the first time. I thought using Migration Assistant would move all my data and apps from the old mac to the new one? What am I doing wrong?

2. I am also hearing the click - beep that some other users are reporting. I have the 500 GB - 7200 RPM drive. What do I do to get rid of the click - beep?

Basically, I just want to use my old one to move over all of my apps and data to the new one so I have minimal setup. I use Firefox, but when I went in there, I do not see my bookmarks.

Thanks!!

2. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Have you clicked File>Import to Library>(music/photos)? Because the files don't magically appear in iPhoto or iTunes once you import them across, you've got to locate them and import them in. At least, that's what I think is wrong.

3. mmyers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you -- I was wondering that, but when i go into iTunes (for example) and go to File / Add to Library I do not know where to go to find the files. When I go into Finder, I cannot find where the Migration Assistant put them. Same thing for iPhoto.

Thanks

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0