Ok, gps without wifi???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spmiz12, Mar 22, 2011.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Read both answers, but if you teether you iPad 2 off your iPhone 4; can you or not use a gps app on the iPad????? Trying to decide if I should upgrade.....

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I can speak to the behavior of what I've seen so far, but I can't be sure of the technical details behind. Let me explain:

On a nice long drive with friends (our kids had a soccer game North of the Cincinnati area) I was in the passenger seat, tethering via MyWi to my jailbroken iPhone 4. I have Navigon on my iPhone but did not have it installed on my iPad, but pulled up Maps to check our route (it was my new toy, so the iPad was my first choice). I noticed that it was tracking us near flawlessly, so I just let it run out of curiosity. Well over an hour drive and only a couple of "spikes" where it momentarily lost us. Pretty darn good considering my iPhone was in my pocket as I sat in the passenger seat and not on the dash.

So, it's definitely getting SOMETHING from the iPhone 4 to figure out location but I'm not sure if it's data being passed from the GPS chip in the iPhone or if it was using tower assisted GPS data to track us. Either way it was extremely usable. Keep in mind that I was using this along a highway drive and not a city trip with lot's of quick turns, so I can't speak to that situation. I may install Navigon on the iPad to see if it even works with it in that configuration.

4. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Yes, when you tether your iPhone 4 to your iPad WiFi (or 3G, but why?) it will allow you to use the iPhone's GPS through your iPad. However, it will only update about once a minute.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You can apparently get GPS data when tethered to an iPhone 4, but I'm pretty sure you still won't be able to download apps that are flagged as requiring GPS.

Basically it'd be useful for Google Maps, and would make any app that does stuff based on your location (restaurant finding etc.) more accurate, but probably not for serious GPS navigation apps (the refresh rate is probably too slow to use for navigation anyway).

6. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bump