OK I don't get what does Ice Cream Sandwich have?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjaco002, Oct 21, 2011.

1. mjaco002 macrumors member

So what is the new thing in this Ice Cream Sandwich that is not already there in the iOS. Roboto more like copied version of helvetica. Face unlock that I give it is cool. But what else is there in this Ice Cream Sandwich that everyone is talking about?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I dunno but an ice cream sandwich sounds super yummy right now.

3. OSMac, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

Kinda thought ICS buttoms looks like part of a 1980 Asteriods game.

I remember a clock on the c64 30 years ago, that looked just like the one in ICS.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You ain't kiddin... would love one
    Every time I see that little green guy dressed like an ice cream sandwich I get hungry
    Nom

5. paule350 macrumors member

haters gonna hate! ICS looks pretty good! OP this should give you an idea http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...m-sandwich-everything-you-need-to-know-954464

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

7. juswest macrumors regular

It has a stop worrying about what you don't care about app built into it.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I just went and bought one. Dessert for breakfast FTW!

9. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Mmm I thing the UI looks much better then gingerbread but there is a lot launchers and Roms, the multitask windows are nice addition , the lock screen is almost the same as sense 3.0 , I don't like the home button on the screen I feel like if I'm going to touch it by accident , the camera UI still don't like it I prefer HTC sense camera or iPhone, idk I like it but I don't I'm staying with the 4S and try to get my hands on a galaxy nexus

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

AT&T has their own. I dunno about all the others.

11. lickitysplit macrumors regular

My phone has a data usage app

12. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

What ICS has is much more than just a data usage app.

13. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Isn't there an app already for this called Onavo (i think)

14. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I watched the keynote (if you want to call it that) & I was not impressed. As much as I am an apple fan I still love technology & like to see what else is around. But there was really not that much I was impressed with. I watched All About Android from the twit network as the conf was going on. They were going crazy over some of the new features that we in ions already have. Face detection I don't really care for, I'd rather have a pass code. But I never lock my phone anyway. It still looks like the same junky interface I've seen on previous versions of android. Ubuntu is much prettier, even though it's not a mobile os. One of the things I did like is the integration of social into every part of the os, like we have now with twitter. But.....the more I think about it, the more I realize I already share stuff pretty easily. in safari I have bookmarks to share to FB, Shareaholic, instapaper, read it later, etc. the only think I would like is a share to FB link from the camera roll. Thats really it. But it is only a couple of clicks to open FB & post a photo, so it's not really too bad. Overall with all the hype I had heard about with ICS I was pretty disappointed. I expected a huge leap forward, & really android is just playing hopscotch.

Google needs to take more control of android & stop letting the carriers ruin what could be a very nice os. they can still keep it open for users to tinker as they wish, and what most android users do. All updates should come from google & not from the carriers vision on when to release it. "Android ICS is out, download from google & update." period, end of story.

I'm so sick of also hearing about androids market share. It's only because they have 2000 phones out on the market. Compare any 1 phone to any iPhone & I doubt you'll see the same numbers. But that's another topic. Sorry.

15. b24pgg macrumors 65816

• Option to use virtual buttons in the UI, instead of taking up capacitive touch buttons
    • Widgets are in a new tab, listed in a similar list to apps
    • Folders are much easier to create, with a drag-and-drop style similar to iOS
    • A customizable launcher
    • New phone app with visual voicemail functionality that lets you speed up or slow down voicemail messages
    • Pinch-to-zoom functionality in the calendar
    • Gmail has offline search, a two-line preview, and new action bar at the bottom
    • Swipe left or right to switch between Gmail conversations
    • Integrated screenshot capture by holding power and volume down buttons
    • Improved error correction on the keyboard
    • Ability to access apps directly from lock screen (similar to HTC Sense 3.x)
    • Improved copy and paste
    • Better voice integration
    • Face Unlock, a facial recognition service
    • New tabbed web browser, allowing up to 16 tabs
    • Browser now automatically syncs your Chrome bookmarks
    • Modern "Roboto" font
    • Data Usage section in settings lets you set warnings when you reach a certain amount of use and disabling data when you go over your limit
    • Ability to kill off apps that are using data in the background
    • Camera app: zero shutter lag, time lapse settings, zoom while recording
    • Built-in photo editor
    • New gallery layout, organized by location and person
    • Refreshed people app with social network integration, status updates and hi-res images
    • Android Beam, a NFC feature that lets you exchange websites, contact info, directions, YouTube, etc.
    • Don't like some of those preloaded carrier apps? Disable them.

16. mjaco002 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. I was under the impression that most of these were already in previous versions of Android. Good to know that they have them now. Seems to me they added some of the functionality from iOS --> Folders and Roboto. Just like how iOS added some of the functionality from Android --> Notification and Dictation.

17. BFG86 macrumors 6502

I thought this was about black iphones with white bumpers. om nom nom nom

18. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Ice Cream Sandwich has ICE CREAM!! WE ALL LOVE ICE CREAM DON'T WE??

MORE ICE CREAM FOR ALL OF US! :p

19. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

what happens when the ice cream sandwich melts? does the plastic phone it's installed on melt too??

20. Jonk1183 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok so they had issues with face unlock during the keynote...what if someones wearing a hat or glasses or the rooms too dark or has a black eye lol will these affect something that alrdy doesnt seem to work????

21. b24pgg macrumors 65816

He picked up the wrong phone. It's been demonstrated on several occasions since then and it works flawlessly.