Ok, I don't know what the hell Apple did in Leopard, but my laptop...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vegeta-san, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

is getting MUCH better battery life. My MBP usually gets (on Tiger at least) 2-3 hrs....I've had this laptop for about a year and it has 96 load cycles on its battery. In Tiger, I used to time how long it took for the battery indicator to drop 1 percent, and it was usually just around a minute. Now, with Leopard, I'm getting 2 minutes and 30 seconds per percentage (brightness at lowest as well). At this rate, it says it'll last 4 hours (screenshot of what all that I'm running below). Also, and this might have something to do with it, my processor temp right now is 112 degrees Farenheit. In TIger, 15 minutes into using this laptop, it was usually at 133 degrees to 148 degrees (just doing normal stuff on it, nothing taxing). This is amazing. I love this OS.

Attached Files:

2. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't tell me my laptop was the only one to luck out....You guys aren't seeing a boost?

3. mikelcroft macrumors regular

I'll let you know tomorrow when leopard (finally) gets here. :D

4. ikarus79m macrumors member

I also had a feeling that I am getting much better battery time now.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Well I cant comment much on battery life, because I dont really time it!

But I do notice that with leopard my CPU usage is a bit higher on average, so I would assume battery life would go down as a result of this, but like I said, I dont have anything to measure it against

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I haven't timed my battery life since getting Leopard but I did notice that my RAM usage DROPPED since upgrading. In Tiger I was getting constant pageouts with 1Gb ram and now in Leopard I am not.

7. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

I've also noticed better battery life lately, and it never occurred to me that it could be because of Leopard. Nicely done Apple, nicely done.

8. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Now that you mention it, comparing my iStat pro statistics in Leopard to it in Tiger, my RAM usage (by the OS) has dropped dramatically as well. Before, in Tiger, right after starting up with nothing running except startup items, my free ram was always around 1.39 GB. Now, with Leopard, it's always around 1.56 GB. Nice!

And yesterday, after I started this thread, I sat down to an hour of Family Guy
    and American Dad, and watched my Macbook Pro battery go from 100% to 75% (while I was using it to surf the web intermittently). Friggin 25%. In one hour! That means a 4 hour battery life on a 1 year old machine with 95% battery health! LEOPARD FTW!

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, likewise. I noticed a small but worthwhile improvement in battery life on my (nearly new) MacBook Pro 17" when I upgraded to Leopard from 10.4.10. It still depends very much on what apps I'm running, but overall the improvement is noticeable. Lord knows why..... :p

10. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

My Macbook once said over 6 hours with full brightness!!!!

But I was running no apps... and when I turned one app one if dropped 2 hours. :(

Oh well, I was excited for a couple of seconds.

TS