OK, I got OS X 10.1 working....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markjs, Jun 14, 2007.

1. markjs macrumors member

And I own a legit copy of it. It's only an iMac 400MHz/128MB mem (soon to get a memory upgrade), but where do I get the update to panther? Am I eligeable to get it free or do I have to buy it? I really am a PC guy so this mac stuff is new to me and I only know that windows updates are free......So I assume that appple ones are too but I know I can't run tiger and I don't find panther on Apple's site.

2. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Unlike Windows service packs, Mac OS X consists of major incremental upgrades, followed by minor security/feature updates (hence the double-decimal OS numbers). To acquire Panther (or Tiger, which is the latest), you'll need to fork out for the whole OS. IMO, this is well worth the money, as 10.1 has almost none of the joys of 10.4, such as Exposé, the Dashboard and Spotlight.

EDIT: Just saw that you can't run Tiger. In that case, ignore everything I said about 10.4 :p

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Yes, unfortunately you will have to buy it. On the plus side, visit eBay, you might get it pretty cheap. 10.1 (cheetah?) was way better than 10.0, much more responsive. You'll find that 10.3 (panther) is better, however. Tiger feels more sluggish to me, and I'm not a fan of Expose, Dashboard or Spotlight, but I had to go to 10.4 anyway to get Java 1.5.

4. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

10.0 -> 10.1 was a free upgrade, everything after that was $129

5. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Puma ;)

6. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

7. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I first switched from PCs to Macs when 10.3.4 was out, I loved it! if you can, it is a great OS, and yes, a good chunk of Mac users are still using it, because it works well.

EDIT: I started with macs, but for a dozen some years I was in PC hell, I recently realized my mistake, and frustration for standard PCs.

PS: how much memory are you getting?

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

More memory the better...Panther is a very nice OS, and you will still get Expóse, as it came with Panther for its first release

9. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

My iMac 400MHz/768 MB runs Tiger just fine. What's nice about Mac OS X is that each .1 version has been faster than the previous.

10. repeater75 macrumors newbie

You want to get X Post Facto:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

Free software that will help you run Tiger or Panther on your older mac.

I have a first-gen Bondi Blue iMac 233Mhz with 96MB RAM running on an upgraded 8GB 7200RPM hard drive (that helped the speed a LOT) and its on 10.4.9 just fine. I only use it to run Safari, turn off the dashboard (search macupdate for the utility) and turn off any animations like the dock stuff and its perfectly fine to do light browsing.

11. DinnyHoon macrumors member

Wow, 10.4.9 on 96MB RAM? That makes me feel at ease about my Core Duo Macbook running Leopard :D

12. Michael Smith macrumors newbie

The 400MHz number isn't enough to tell whether he has an iMac DV (1999, 2000) or a low-end slot-loading iMac (2001). The slot-loader should run Tiger straight out of the box; the tray-loaders will not.

Definitely max out the memory and bulk up the internal drive to 120GiB. I just retired my 600MHz garage iMac; it was a perfectly adequate machine for light to moderate use.

= Mike

13. markjs thread starter macrumors member

I got a copy of Panther (10.3) and it seems to work for light browsing even with 128mb of RAM. I am looking to at least double that if not more and then I should have a useable iMac. I am doing this because I want to learn mac. I love PCs and nothing will ever change that but I am learning to like macs too. I just love computers in general. My next project is to build a cheap hackintosh.

BTW it's a slot loader with a CD not DVD drive.

14. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

my G4 iBook has 512 mb of RAM which works very well, with it being a little sluggish sometimes, ie: multiple apps running. no less then that, i say 1 GB is about perfect for everyday use.

15. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Just to clarify, Mac OS updates are just as free (or not) as Windows updates. Win 95 -> 98 etc. is like 10.1 -> 10.2 etc., which you pay for. "Service packs" are like the 10.x.x updates, which are all free.

--Eric

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

You were a jerk anyways if you thought it wouldn't

17. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Except for those pesky system requirements published by apple :confused:

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i tried to install tiger onto my imac dv summer slot loading thingo. but it needs min 9gb, and my harddrive is only 12 hahahaahahha. thats really not enuf space. i have 768mb ram aswell so it would take that ok.

19. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

All 400 MHz machines are slot-loaders with Firewire.

20. Michael Smith macrumors newbie

You're quite right; I should not have been posting when so tired. My apologies to the OP for any confusion caused.

= Mike