Ok, I LOVE this phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronincse, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ronincse macrumors regular

ronincse

So I have had my iPhone 7+ for a few days now and just wanted to share a few thoughts so far.

I switched to this from a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. As far as Android phones go that is one of the best available. I have gotten fed up with all the little quirks and such I tend to get from Android over the years, things like the audio quitting on me, the abysmal battery life, lag when there shouldn't be, etc... The S7 certainly had less of these issues at first than my previous phones but they came up eventually. I don't know if it's Android itself or my particular usage but I end up with issues without fail, and I have been using Android since 2009. I'm a network admin as well so it's not like I don't know how to trouble shoot things ;).

So on to my nice new iPhone. I downloaded the move to iOS app and used that to transfer to the new phone. It was very slick and easy to use. Ended up with all my contacts, photos, and messages. As an added bonus it even automatically downloaded any apps on my Android that it could find on the app store. Didn't get everything but that's to be expected.

The actual experience of using the phone is great, here's a random assortment of what springs to mind: 3D touch is sooooo nice, being able to use it on notifications works much better than the pull down method on Android. I love how many little actions have haptic feedback, it's really amazing how much it adds to the experience. Everything is so nice and snappy compared to my old phone, even when it was brand new or recently restored. I know it's how iOS works vs Android but it adds so much to the user experience. The finger print reader works as well as the Samsung one, however Touch ID is supported in more of the apps that I use on iOS vs Android. I really like the new home button and really have no issues with it, in fact to me it feels better than using the home button on my iPad. Battery life vs the S7 is unreal, I think the S7 has a bigger battery but if I didn't plug the thing in it would be under 50% by the time I got home from work, yesterday using the iPhone all day to stream podcasts it was about 70%-80% when I got home. I use most of google's services so I was worried I would miss out on those a little, however it seems to me that the iOS versions of google's apps are almost better than the Android ones, for some crazy reason gboard on iOS is certainly better than the google keyboard on Android. Finally I have been using bluetooth headphones and I have a bluetooth adapter in my car so I haven't used wired headphones in about a year, basically the no headphone jack thing doesn't affect me at all.

So what do I miss about the S7? Biggest thing is my Moto 360 has a bug where it won't connect to the iPhone 7 so I miss my smartwatch, hopefully that will be fixed (planning on getting an Apple Watch anyways). Wireless charging is nice, although since I don't need to charge the phone nearly as much it hasn't been an issue yet. I thought I had a couple other things but they are escaping me at the moment. I grew bored with tinkering with everything on Android years ago so I don't care that I can't do that on iOS as much. The app store here is sooooo much better than the play store. So far there are virtually no downsides for me and I have no regrets moving away from Android.

Hopefully someone gets something from my post, just wanted to add my own positivity to this release. Thanks for reading!

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to receive mine.

3. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Thanks for chiming in. Always nice to hear from switchers who approach the process with an open mind and can see the pros and cons without religion :)

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Apple's ecosystem and system fluidity is second to none.

I've owned every iphone since the original(except 5c and SE) and was using a Samsung S7 edge since March of this year.

A main point I loved about the S7 versus my 6sPlus was the camera and picture quality of the S7.

After using my 7Plus for about a week now, I can honestly say the camera upgrade alone from the 6sPlus to the 7Plus makes dumping the S7 much easier.

The battery on the 7Plus is also ridiculously good after a week of setup. The S7 would drop from a full charge to 99% about 1 minute after unplugging, and from there on would leave me at 30-40% within 10 hours of use whereas the 7Plus is at around 75% in the same time frame.

And btw. I try different phones just for reference. Have used Samsung S4, BB Storm 1 & 2.

5. pirarre macrumors 6502

I'm with you...I switching from the hand grenade Note 7. Although it had a great camera, the lagginess of the phone really got to me, especially when unlocking it. But overall it was okay and to be honest, I probably would still have it if it wasn't for this recall.

Nonetheless, I got the Jet Black 256GB 7 Plus and boy oh boy...I love it. People complained of the fingerprints and in all actuality, it doesn't bother me one bit. The camera on the phone is great too and its quick. One feature I do miss that was on the the Note 7 is the ability to use Samsung Pay everywhere. It did have a few hiccups here and there but I liked having that option. Apple Pay is nice and easier to use imo.

Overall, I'm very happy I have with what I have now...Only if I could get my wife to switch from Samsung, everybody in my house would own iphones.

6. ronincse thread starter macrumors regular

ronincse

Ah yeah Samsung pay was nice. It was nice being able to know that you could use your phone to pay almost anywhere. Of course it didn't work quite 100% so you still couldn't leave your wallet at home :(

I went with a silver iPhone although I kind of regret not getting the JB now. Coming from Samsung phones we should already be used to the fingerprint issue ;)

7. pirarre macrumors 6502

lol...we should...lol

I originally ordered the JB 256GB 7+ and after I preordered it, I found out it was delayed till Oct 7. So I found a matte black 128GB 7P instead. Tried to cancel my JB preorder and they wouldnt let me. The JB Plus got delivered yesterday. So I'm going to return the matte black 7p today or sale it to a co-worker.

The JB model is so sweet!! lol

8. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I have not spent much time using Android as I have been on iPhone since the 3G. But I have to say it's kind of shocking to me that even the latest Samsung devices experience lagginess, according to those that own them. The quad core CPUs they now have should be quite powerful, and the OS and manufacturer skin should be well-refined by now.

I guess I'm spoiled by the focus and refinement that Apple applies to their hardware and software. It really pays off in the user experience. I will admit that the iPhone 6 and earlier did not always perform to my liking (the 1GB of RAM was becoming a hindrance), but starting with the 6s I have found it powerful enough to do anything I want with essentially no lag at all, even after a year of ownership and several OS updates. It's really nice to have the phone keep up with everything I want to do almost as fast as I think of it.

9. pirarre macrumors 6502

If anyone tells you there's no lag ion their Galaxy S7/ S7 Edge or Note 7, they're lying. I'm not saying those phones are horrible either. What I am saying is that thy're not perfect and I've owned them all. My wife is using the S7 now and it pisses her off sometimes when the phone lags. The reason she's still with Samsung is because of the camera and expandable storage. Although I like my iphone 7P Plus a lot, it's not perfect either. But it's a good improvement from my other devices that I've used and any devices that's on the current market in my opinion.

10. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

Glad to hear from another happy switcher. I also came from a few of the top android combatants and i have to say there's not one thing i miss. My LG G5 had issues with the GPS, bad enough to render the navigation useless. The lag on the Galaxy brothers, the Note 7(yes i returned way before the exploding batteries) and the s7 edge are very annoying. Nexus 6p was great but nothing was really great just worked well but very plain. The OS on the iPhone is just simple, nice and just works. :cool:

I really think that Android has a few things to learn when it comes to hardware and software harmony. What's the darn point in having 4+ gigs of ram if the phone still lags, why have a 3700+ mah battery if its not going to last a full day. Sorry to have made this an iOS vs Android, just my thoughts. ;):apple:

11. cantankerously macrumors regular

Welcome! I'm also a Android to Apple convert. Getting my JB 7+ today. Thanks for sharing!

12. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Has anyone also thought this is why Apple developed the "s" moniker back with the 3GS so there would hopefully be minimal lag from phone to phone?

All the complaints about how the 7 series isn't a "true upgrade" would turn into anarchy if the iPhones stutters nearly as much as the Damsungs. I did use an S7 Edge for 6 months.

Just think about how much people complained about Safari pages reloading when Ram wasn't sufficient the last couple of years.

Apple, for the most part, strives for the best user experience and they reiterate this all the time.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The Silver is a sleek color. That's what I have in the iPhone 7. Nice review by the way.

14. ronincse thread starter macrumors regular

ronincse

It's weird lag. From my experience it's not in what you would expect in having the home screen lag or starting apps lag or such. It's small things that you wouldn't expect. For example my S7 would lag when there were too many notifications where pulling down the panel would be really stuttery, I also would get really bad lag playing Hearthstone which the phone should be plenty powerful for. Unlocking could also cause a lot of lag something with the phone becoming unresponsive sometimes, probably due to a crash or something. Sometimes entering text would be laggy with it taking seconds to catch up...etc...

Just a bunch of little things that many people may not notice when it's new but build up a lot over time.

Oh and a battery update: haven't plugged in my phone since I took it off the charger about 5 hours ago (7:30 am mst) and have been listening to podcasts with it via my bluetooth headphones. It's at 92% battery left. My S7 Edge would have probably been about 50% by now if I had been listening to stuff on it the whole time. Maybe 60%

15. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Another thing to add, the performance of android phones gets worse with every software upgrade. Not to mention, you have to wait anywhere between 8 months to over a year to even receive the upgrade.

My iphone 6s+ is butter smooth with ios 10.

16. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Good point. So many people argue that the S7 has better specs and therefore is the better choice. Apple's ability to optimize is way underappreciated.

17. yomnym macrumors 6502

yomnym

This goes for almost every single Android phone coming out, its like a pissing war with the specs.. the OnePlus3 was a "beast" with the 6GB ram lol.. what a joke it turned it out be worse than a 2gb device until the had to rework the software.

Apple doesn't even bother stating the battery specs and ram had to be figured out via the geekbench mark thing lol.

Don"t get me wrong I'm far from being an Android hater, i still have my G5 but Apple is really a leader when it comes to efficiency.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I love mine too. What I was most worried about, the home button, turned out to be what I like best about the 7. The home button is awesome. IOS10 has a bug or two but overall it has worked good for me. My 256 Plus has worked without flaw.