ok i need some help with ios 8 on my 4s

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ron20, May 6, 2015.

1. Ron20 macrumors member

well i made a mistake and updated my grandma's iphone 4s to ios8 well she loves a small portion of it i thought it would be cool to upgrade it after finding out that in order to facetime i have to upgrade hers.

well lets move on to the downside, of things...
    1. ios-very slow to respond at times..
    2. apps, like facebook use to work somewhat decent, now she is lucky to get it to work..
    3. since she uses my apple account (i had a android at the time) (but i have the face time stuff turned off, but recently have a slight issue, i texted my friend (he has i6+) she gets my messages, and his.. i turned off imessages on hers..

how to fix
    1. i know its not possible let alone solve the issues but downgrade to ios6
    2. get a ip5s (its not new but i doubt she wants a ip6...) but after her ios8 use i doubt she wants it...
    3. hope apple can issue a fix, i doubt it but they did it with the ip4 and ios7.

2. saudor macrumors 6502

try resetting all settings? Also the mobile web of Facebook works better if you're not using Facebook to upload mass amounts of photos

3. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Haven't tried that yet (she doesnt want me to touch it) seems like it would help but i would hate to try it and it be more messed up,

but she hardly uploads pics only like and comments on stuff.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

be using the latest 8.3, or even the 8.4 beta, have background app refresh master toggle OFF. parallax (where icons & windows move according to device orientation) off may slightly help speed, like slightly, & elderly generally like it off anyway for the eyes

5. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

To help with overall iOS 8 responsiveness on a 4s:

-Start with a clean install (PIA, but makes a difference)
    -Turn on Reduce Motion
    -Turn on Increase Contrast
    -Turn off Contacts in the App Switcher
    -Turn off Background App refresh (Maybe more of a battery thing, but I'm all for turning off anything I don't need/want)
    -Turn off Siri and Spotlight (See above about need/want)

6. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks
    I thought reduce motion made it slower?
    Clean instill is where i plug it in to the laptop and download..

Same here on turning stuff i dont need, she doesnt know how to use sri and Spotlight

7. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Why is your grandmother using your Apple ID? That's not how it's supposed to work XD

8. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Because, i jumped to galaxy from my 4s so i gave her my apple id so she can download stuff (she didn't want a new phone at the time and it was better then her 3gs (my old one as well)

Now i am back on the apple side lol

9. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Reduce Motion cuts out a lot of the animations.
    Yeah, plug it in and restore. Although what I'm suggesting is to setup as a new device then reload all the apps fresh again. So you lose your app data and settings, text messages, etc. Not for the faint of heart.

10. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Ya it's definitely easier then android, i have gotten myself out of so much trouble through a computer software called odin when i was with android, i did lose everything as well but i kept my contacts on Google cloud, music and photos on its ext storage...

But since this is my grandma's phone and I really don't feel like getting yelled at lol i am going to pass on setting it up as a new device

As long as i can get Facebook to work decently i think she would be happy, mine on my 6+ is a tad slow if i just opened the app for the first time or something like that, but nothing like hers though that makes me wonder if its ios or Facebook

11. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

The only app I've really seen be more sluggish on OS8 vs OS is Dropbox. It just seems to take forever to get to where the passcode functions. But it's not only on the 4s, I see it on my iPad4 as well. Other than that I really don't see a huge difference between 7 & 8 although as I mentioned before, I have a lot of stuff turned off.

I don't blame you for not doing a fresh restore. Nothing like the wrath of a grandmother when Facebook isn't functioning right!

12. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I know you didn't really ask for a fix on the iMessage thing. To have it not show your convos. Go into settings>messages>send & receive. Uncheck all your addresses and add her email address and select only that one. Then also select her address as the start new convos with. (This "should" eliminate her seeing what you text to your friend from the 4S.)

13. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

How about I give you a realist answer: you're screwed. iOS8 isn't going to run well on that phone. Your best hope is iOS9 being a performance release but by the time it's released your phone will be almost 4 years old. I doubt your phone will get iOS9.

14. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Where have you read that you had to upgrade the iOS version in order to use Facetime? What iOS version was running on the 4s? I'm perfectly able to Facetime between a 4s running iOS7.1.2 and my iPhone 5s running iOS8.3.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably from iOS 6 where that stopped working for phones that could upgrade to iOS 7 or higher.

16. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I never figured that, i knew face time worked like that.

----------

Got the information from a thread, here.
    It was running ios6

17. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

I still decided to leave my moms iPhone 4s running iOS7.1.2 after i've seen this video with the comparison with iOS8.3 on the 4s. Especially the App Store is pretty slow. I've also seen with other 3rd party apps (which have regular updates) at a colleagues phone that they start sooo slow.