OK, I need some professional help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, May 20, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've had this circle with a slash on startup on several boot ups. I've tried Disk Repair and then finally coming to the point [last night] to completely reinstalling OSX from a clean format and install.

Once OSX was installed it gave me the opportunity to use Time Machine which I did. Everything installed and was put back like I had wanted using Time Machine. I was very please with how automated it was and how it seemed to get everything back in its place.

Well everything was installed and I then went in and did the Mac software updates. Which I did all of them that DID NOT require a restart first. Once those were installed I did each of the software updates that required a restart [one at a time] to insure that each one of them was successfully done and if I did have a problem as I did with a previous update. I would know about where my problem was [hopefully].

My last 2 software updates were the OSX 10.5.7 update and the iLife 09 update. Both of them required restarts and were done one at a time and they seemed to be installed correctly without any hiccups. Last night everything was running smoothly before I went to bed and was extremely happy that [me being a new Mac owner] was able to learn and install everything like I knew what I was doing. One thing I can say that before I went to bed I was playing with importing my photos into iPhoto 09 and ever since installing that program, I had some spinning beach balls quite a few times in the very, very short time I had the program installed. Is iLife '09 problematic? Because I seemed to remember that everything seemed fine in my original install until iLife 09 and the iLife 09 software update was done and then the problems arose from these.

This morning I turned on my laptop and what do ya know the circle with a slash in it!!!!

I'm lost as to what's going on. I just bought this laptop 5-6 days ago and seem to have this problem since day 2 or 3.

Can someone aid me with what might possibly be going on?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sounds like a hard drive failure, actually. Unfortunately, reinstalling the OS probably won't do it, you might need a new hard drive.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I'd agree it seems like a drive error.

Good to see you had Time Machine on!

Go and get a replacment the migrate to it with your Time Machine backup.

(I hope your not a New to Mac user. If you are, don't let this experience put you off.

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

5. macDonalds macrumors 6502

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That is rather unfortunate because this is a new 500gb hard drive I immediately replaced as soon as I bought the Macbook. What's even more unfortunate is that the drive I bought was an external USB E-SATA drive. What I did was was swap the drive so I could have a big external drive for backups. So my warranty for the 500gb external drive is probably history since I opened the case.

Is there some hard drive utilites that would check for problems?

7. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Go to utilities (in your application folder) and then hard drive help program (or something like that; in dutch it is schijfhulpprogramma, but that won't help you I think). Once you're there, click on your hard-drive, then go to the right round corner and in that are there should be a button saying something like "check drive" (in dutch "controleer schijf"). Then you can say repair drive. Maybe it will help.

Good luck.

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I've never had a hard drive fail after just a week. As a matter of fact I've never had a hard drive fail.

I might see if Best Buy will let me swap it out, but I'm afraid to buy another one of these drive if this happened in just a week.

9. aicul macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I suppose you have valuable files on that hard drive and the inconvenience is causing troubles and holding up work.

At the current price of 1tb hard drive, either you are very hard pressed for cash or you may just want to stop by a local store...

10. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That drive is very small because its for my Macbook. I bought it would be perfect to just swap out the drives. I haven't seen a notebook 1TB drive or I would have bought it.